Chapter Six

“When it hurts to look back, and you’re scared to look ahead, you can look beside you and your best friend will be there”

“Ouch!” I exclaim when my eyelid hits my eye after Haze just curled my eyelashes.

“Just be still and we can be done.” She scolds.

I internally roll my eyes at her comment. Tonight’s a girl’s night. Haze got here about two hours ago and we just finished watching 21 Jump Street. Right when the movie was coming to an end, Haze decided that we were going to get all pampered up. For what reason? I don’t know. When she told me this, I thought the idea just popped into her mind, but nope, she definitely already had this planned.

Rows and rows of eye shadow, eyeliner, lipstick and much more lay in front of my oval shaped mirror. I never wear make-up. I think it’s a way of covering up your true beauty. The only time I wear make-up is when Haze puts it on. The times that she has put it on, she tries to change my face into something different. Last time it was covered in blue with small diamonds under my lower lashes. She called it a mermaid look. I called it a smurf that wanted to turn into a diamond look. So imagine my surprise when I opened my eyes and my face wasn’t covered in blue.

Instead, my chocolate colored eyes seemed bigger, my lips full and red, and a soft pink color to my cheeks. I sit there shocked as I take in my look. I’m not a mermaid/smurf nor am I a blood hungry vampire, I’m just me.

“I have created a master piece.” Haze mutters happily.

She pats her chest with an over dramatic smile on her face. If I wasn’t so caught up with looking at my reflection then I would’ve rolled my eyes and slapped her leg. But how can I remove my eyes away from my reflection? I have never looking like this before. This is a make-up look you’d wear if you were going on a date or to prom (which I didn’t go to). I place my hand on my cheek and my reflection follows. Is this really me? My skin seems to be glowing and my eyelids have a small dark effect.

“Wow.” I mumble.

I then turn my head to look at Haze. She sits beside me with a happy look on her face. Different brushes surround her and her left hand is like a paint sample for an artist.

“You look very hermoso.” Says Haze.

Smiling my thanks at my best friend, I stand up while grabbing her hands.

“So explain why exactly you wanted to doll me up.” I ask her.

With that being said, Haze’s eyes brighten and she rushes to her overnight bag. Clothes fly past her shoulders as she looks for something. She squeals happily once she’s found her item. When she turns around an expensive looking camera is in her hand. It has to be her mom’s since I fully well know Haze is not a photographer. She may be into beauty and sports, but photography isn’t her thing. I raise my eyebrow at the camera.

“This is my mom’s so you can’t say anything to her, kay? I want to take a few photos so they’re in my dorm room this fall because someone isn’t going to collage with me.” Teases Haze.

Rolling my eyes, I walk over to her and lift the camera from her hands. It’s somewhat heavier than what I was expecting. I search for the power button and once I find the button, it makes a fairy like noise before it’s fully on.

“You want to take selfies inside my room?” I ask her in disbelief.

I didn’t know it was going to be a photo shoot. I just thought we were going to watch movies till 3 a.m. Haze rolls her eyes and snatches the camera away from my hands.