Chapter Thirty

"Alcohol doesn't cause hangovers, waking up does."

I carefully drive down the road. I would usually be flying with the windows rolled down, the wind blowing in my hair, and my radio blasting with music. But this different. I keep on checking on Trouble, making sure he doesn't mess anything up. I would be really pissed if he did.

At this moment, I'm driving to Animal Care Shop to get some important items for Trouble. I'm praying that he'll behave and not tear anything. After Ashton showed me his pillow, he picked up Trouble as he snapped and growled at Ashton. Ten minutes later, Ashton came back in his room to inform me that Trouble peed all over the living room carpet. When I started laughing, Ashton began too.

Arriving at Animal Care Shop, I park in a parking space and turn to look at Trouble. His front paws are on the door and he presses his head against the window. I look down to see one of my coats is in shreds. Sighing, I grab the coat and throw it in the passenger seat.

"What am I going to do with you, Trouble?" I ask out loud, imagining he'll speak right back.

His wet nose leaves a wet residue that I know I'll have to clean when I get home as he moves away from the window. I pick him up and open my door. He twists and turns to get out of my arms, but I tighten my hold as I open the front door.

Amy sits on the stool behind the main desk with a pencil in her mouth. She glances up, looks down, then does a double-take.

"Where'd you get the dog from?" She asks.

I set Trouble free, and he runs around the waiting area like a mad rabbit.

"He's my puppy that I just got from Cassandra."

Amy nods her head, and doesn't take her eyes off Trouble. He finally stops running to pee on the plant between two chairs. I run over to him in a panic.

"Trouble," I hissed, lifting him up to stop him. "That's wrong!" Amy chuckles as I head to the back to put him in a pen. Trouble gives me puppy dog eyes as I close and lock the gate. It's tempting to take him out, but I already made my decision and I'm not changing it.

As I get everything that I'll need for Trouble, he'll be in an empty pen so he doesn't mess with anything. I then begin to mentally make a list of everything that I need to get. Dog bowls, bed, food, toys, a cage, and grooming brushes.

When I walk into the front room, Amy is still sitting on the stool. She looks over her shoulder and flashes me a smile.

"I like the name of your puppy." She says.

I roll my eyes and lean against the counter.

"He's crazy, but after everything he tears up I can't help but love him even more. It's a plus that he's cute, too."

Amy laughs and puts the pencil in the mason jar. I notice all the papers that are scattered across the counter top. Before she can stop me, I grab a random sheet of paper and begin to read out loud. But instead of there being any words, there are music notes. I squint my eyes to see the small print. Amy tries taking the paper away from me, but I take a step back. I turn the sheet around so Amy sees it.

"I didn't know you played an instrument." I say to her in amusement.

Amy blushes wildly. "I've been writing down notes for the song that I have to play next week." Amy snatches the music sheet away from my hands and shuffles the papers together to put them away.

"There's no need to be embarrassed, Amy."

"I know. I might as well get used to it."

"You'll still be working here, right?"