Chapter 40~ A Friend and a Jerk

'I... Aashi... I wanted to...but...'

'But...?'

Rishabh sighed looking away, he placed the photo frame beside him and wiped his tears.

'Aashi, after what happened, it wasn't easy to come back. So many times, I wanted to, I wished I could just run to you but-'

'Rishabh.' Aashi leaned forward and hugged him. She wrapped her arms around his neck. Slowly, Rishabh extended his free hand and placed it on her arm.

'I was so ashamed... I still am...I was an idiot...I ruined our beautiful friendship, our future... Many times, I thought I deserved this, I deserved being miserable being away from you and so I couldn't muster any courage to come back....'

'Shh...' Aashi said caressing his hair gently, tears made their way to her eyes and fell on her arm.

'Past is past, Rishabh, it is over, it has passed...' She said snuggling her head in between her arm and his neck.

'I am sorry, Aashi. You have always been a fierce, loyal and true friend and I was a jerk...'

'Shut up, Rishabh else I will break your other arm as well.' Aashi said. Rishabh doesn't respond, she smiled sadly. Rishabh held her arm and separated them.

'I am serious, Aashi. I am sorry...I am very sorry...'

'Stop crying like a kid, with a beard now it doesn't suit you.' Aashi smiled wiping her tears

'Beard? It's a stubble Aashi.' Rishabh whined much like his old self. Aashi chuckled.

She stopped laughing when he held her hand, she looked at him, a serious look on his face.

'Aashi, please forgive me.' He said seriously

Aashi smiled and placed her other palm over theirs, - 'I did long back.'

Aashi wanted to ask more but stopped, there was so much that was still unanswered like when he broke up with Laila and how? Why was he working as an accountant? But Aashi didn't ask, he is already unwell.

'Okay, you rest, I will arrange Dinner.' Aashi said and Rishabh nodded. Before she could stand up she couldn't stop herself and kissed his forehead. Rishabh looked at her slightly taken aback. But when she smiled, Rishabh smiled too.

***********************************

'I didn't know, you can cook.' Himanshu smiled taking his seat beside Suchitra who sat on the double sofa.

'I can cook something, little things. Suchitra is a better cook.' Aashi said tying an apron around her waist.

Suchitra looked flattered, but she waved her hand saying, - 'Please.' Aashi noticed her cheeks turn crimson red.

Aashi opened the YouTube app and skimmed through the videos, finally pausing at a butter chicken video tutorial. She placed it carefully in front of her and searched for a deep fry pan in the cabinet.

'Hmm... smells nice.' Himanshu said as he entered the kitchen.

'Thanks.' Aashi said pushing behind her hair with the back of her palm.

'Hey, let me help you with that.' Himanshu said. Aashi nodded and got back to flipping the chicken. Himanshu moved his hand and moved wild strands from her forehead. Thanks to the sweat, it became sticky. He tugged it behind her ears, she looked at him. He smiled, she smiled back.

'Hey, Rishabh.' Aashi looked away from Himanshu when she heard Suchitra's voice. Rishabh stood leaning against his clutch in the living room, his eyes on Aashi and Himanshu. Since it was an open kitchen he can easily look at them.

************************************