XIX.

~ Thor ~

I exist, only to live a capsule to power.

A torch passed down from my father,

And his father,

And his father;

And his.

Generations meant to contain, to conceal; to withhold what was too great.

And in our blood proved the perfect mix; a combination of bravery and restraint. A desire to only protect and in defeat leave a stronger to provide what could not be of the last.

I was the last to sheath this luminine sword.

The next in line to bottle lighting.

And in my quest- in my duty to achieve what was born of me;

I brought to the breast of my bloodline, a dagger,

molded in the flames of failure.

I broke the bone, nurtured in a responsibility.

A responsibility robbed of a shoulder to be brandished.

I am the only and the last.

A god. A prince. A man. A failure.

Where have you gone, child?

Why have you lost me?

Am I not worthy?

Who have you found?

The air smelled of gorse.

Eyes yet to be opened, I moved my arms in a search of where I may lay.

A bed. I'm in a bed?

Using the back of my arms for support, I attempted to lift myself from the spot, but was stopped by a sharp pain in my side.

I winced. "Sfff- Damn it!"

"No, no, no! Don't get up." A woman's voice followed a gentle press at my stomach.

I opened my eyes to find myself at face with a woman dressed in a light scar across her eyes.

Fair skinned and matron like, she spoke softly as she explained.

"You're in no condition to be on your feet. Please consider that you'd let yourself rest."

"Where am I? How did I get here?"

"We spotted you limping from the outer cave of the castle's catacombs. You were a field away from us and by the time we got to you, you had already collapsed. You've been out for quite a bit now. Most of your wounds are already starting heal."

I groaned. "Wounds?"

"The one on your side is the worst of them. Seems you've seen the best of a sword. You toss a lot in your sleep so the stitches break frequently. My wife just redid them a night or two ago."