Chapter Nine

Keith didn't even get to open his mouth when Lance sent an accusing glare in his direction. The previous red paladin gave the other boy a confused look. He hadn't even said anything.

"You can't leave Voltron," he finally said a few minutes later. "The Blade of Marmora isn't as important as we are. We're your family, Keith; you can't just ditch your family."

Keith's face contorted to a look of confusion. "You were yelling at me a couple days ago, and you want me to stay, now?"

Lance looked away and forced himself to stare anywhere but the red paladin. His eyes were shining with unshed tears, but Keith couldn't see them yet. Keith continued to stare at Lance, a look of worry in his eyes.

"Whatever," Lance muttered, playing with a string that had been coming undone from his blanket. "What did you want to talk to me about?"

"I was wondering," Keith started, gently reaching over to Lance's forehead to make the other boy face him. "If you could be with anyone in the world, anyone in the galaxy, who would it be?"

Lance gave him a confused look, along with an extremely humorless laugh, "My family. I didn't want to be here in the first place." He paused. "My real family. The ones on Earth, not the ones that waited for so long to tell me who they really are."

Keith sighed and tapped his fingers against his legs. The black fingerless gloves on his hands felt tighter than usual. "That's not what I meant," he caught Lance's expression grow more confused. "If you could date anyone in the galaxy, who would you date?"

"Why do you want to know?" Lance asked cautiously. "That's an oddly weird question coming from you, Mr. Emo."

Keith grunted and stood up, rolling his eyes at Lance's antics. "I'll see you later, Lance," he grumbled. "I have to get ready to leave with the blade after tomorrow's meeting."

"Keith, wait," Lance suddenly had the red paladin's hand in his own. "You can't leave me. You're the only one that understands-"

"You're race is supposed to hate mine," Keith practically growled, hiding his true feelings under a mask. "Why don't you act like the your mom and dad and hate me, too."

Before either boy could even think about what was happening, Keith charged out of the room in the direction of his own.

6/18/18