Chapter Twelve

Lance started screaming at the lion to move even though he knew that wouldn't work. His hands tried to shove the handles forward, needing the lion to move anywhere but the giant ship that it was trying to go. He tried to call for help through the communication systems.

"Guys?" he called desperately. "I could use a little help!"

There was no replies, and when he tried again, the viewing screens suddenly went black. Despite the silence he had received, he called out again. There was still no answer. 

"Lance McClain," Haggar's voice suddenly appeared inside his head. "Lotor and I have heard a lot about you." 

"How?" he called back. They hadn't let Lotor heard anything about him being Altean. 

"We have our ways," her scratchy voice infiltrated his mind again. "I don't think that concerns you, prince. Would that beautiful mother of yours pay up to save you?"

"She would never negotiate with a traitor," he said shakily, trying to keep his confidence as he addressed Lotor now. He didn't know if Haggar was the only one hearing him, or if Lotor was somehow in their mind conversation.

He never received any reply from either of them. There was a moment of silence as he tried to get something in the lion back online and returning to working order. It took him a second, but he somehow managed to free himself from Haggar's hold - at least, he pretended it was his doing.

"Guys, can you hear me?" he asked as a view of the space around them appeared. He could see the rest of the lions surrounding him, and the Galra cruisers laid in pieces around them.

"Lance!" Allura yelled, a breath of relief sounding through the small ship. "Are you okay?"

"We could hear you for a second there, buddy," Hunk's voice wavered as he tried not to cry.

"I'm okay," he promised. "I just... had a mental conversation with Haggar. I think she is planning to kidnap me. She practically mentioned ransom in every way, but she never actually said it."

No one spoke for a while. Shiro started to lead them back to the castle, but he did so without a word. As they left their lions alone in the hangar, Coran watched without confusion as the group formed a protective circle around Lance. 

7/13/18