Chapter 6

We welcomed the groom side with flowers. After the groom side had been settled, the nikkah ceremony took place and then we brought Zoha on the stage to her beaming husband. After all the families had their photo shoot with the bride and groom, we had dinner and it now was time for rukhsati.

Tying a sehra around Zoha's head, we walked her out with Wali holding Quran on top of her head. Once out, Zoha met everyone one by one. Crying, she hugged mamu jan and then mumani jan who too were in tears, embracing Zaroon she moved towards Wali. Looking at Wali, I knew he was trying hard to control his tears, trying to be strong as always, I rolled my eyes. Wali was always like this, masking his emotions, never letting his guard down. Five years ago, I always was an exception with whom he shared everything but now I cannot be so sure about it. Lost in my thoughts, I did not realize Zoha hugging me until I gasped for air.

"I'll miss you Aleyha. Al, please promise me you'll give my brother some time. I know he still cares for you deeply, I have seen it. You might not be able to see it now because you are hurt. Just promise me, you'll give him time. Don't question him, just give him some time" Zoha whispered in my ear.

I promised her, not wanting her to worry about me. She was about to start her new life and I wanted her to focus on that. Not able to say much more, afraid that I'll burst into tears which will provoke her tears, I tightened my hug. Breaking apart, I breathed, controlling my tears, "And you promise me that no matter what, you'll always be in contact with me" I said, looking into her eyes. Giving me a warm smile, she gave me a nod.

After meeting everyone, I helped her into the car and they drove away. Looking around, I noticed Sami bhai's family was still here. Involuntarily, my eyes searched for a certain face, I saw him walking inside towards the back of the hall. Unknowingly, I started walking in the same direction where Wali went.

I don't know why but I just wanted to make sure he was okay.

My feet were killing me. It's not like I hate heels, I love them but these particular once were killing my feet. I know my feet will be swollen when I'll take them off. Busy thinking about my damn heels, I didn't notice someone coming out of the bathroom and I rammed into that someone. Closing my eyes, I prepared for my fall but it never came instead I felt a pair of arms holding me. Breathing a sigh of relief, I opened my eyes to thank that person and looked at my saviour, it was Ahmed. Realizing I was still in his arms, my cheeks burn in embarrassment. Steadying myself, I moved away from his arms. Noticing I still was standing close to him, I was about to move back and thank him for not letting me fall that someone punched him from behind me. My eyes widen and my head snapped towards that person, if possible my eyes widened more, realizing that the person was none other than Wali.

"What the hell Wali!? Why did you do that?" I yelled, enraged at his stunt. His eyes moved towards me, which further darkened. If I say he was looking angry, it would be an understatement. His hands balled into fists and a muscle in his jaw twitching continuously. Stalking towards Ahmed, he loomed over him. Knowing really well what he was about to do next, I scurried towards them and held Wali's arm

"Wali what are you doing? Please Wali, don't create a scene here"

He ignored me, trying to get out of my grasp but at this stage, I was almost hanging on his arm. My eyes flickered towards Ahmed who had stood up and moved back. Good for him! I breathed.

"Wali, he is your sister's in law. Please, at least think about her" I pleaded. I have witnessed his anger and trust me, it's not at all a good sight. As if coming back to his senses, he shook his head and stepped back. Grabbing my arm, he started dragging me away.

"Ahmed, it was all a misunderstanding. Please, just don't tell anyone. I will sort it out" I called out, on which he gave me a small nod. Thank god! he understood otherwise I don't know what could have happened.