Chapter 14

"Why are you crying, Zoha?"

"Why are you crying, Ale?"

I heard two different voices, simultaneously. Our heads snapped towards the entrance. Sami bhai and Wali were standing at the entrance of my room, both of their faces etched with worry.

"Oh, it's nothing we both just missed each other very much," Zoha covered up, standing up and walking towards both of them, with a huge smile on her face.

I remained seated on my place, just nodding at Sami bhai as a salam and he nodded back, giving me a warm smile. I could feel Wali's eyes boring into me. He didn't buy the excuse. Iooked away, avoiding eye contact with him.

"By the way, what are you doing here, Wali bhai?" Zoha asked. I knew she was trying to divert their attention.

"He was with me when you called. My car broke down so he came with me to pick you up," Sami bhai replied.

"Oh, that's good," Zoha replied, looking at me. I knew what was so 'good' that she was referring to.

"Okay, then, Zoha you can go. We'll meet later," I gave her a pleading look. I was not yet ready to face Wali, I wanted him gone from here so that he won't be able to question me.

"What's the hurry, Aleyha? We have just come, wouldn't you ask us for some juice or tea? If phuppo would have been here, she'd be very upset with your hospitality." I could very well comprehend the accuse in Wali's mocking tone, feeling his deep stare at me. He sat on the sofa, resting one foot over the thigh of other. Leaning into the sofa, he made himself comfortable. It seemed he had no intentions of moving from there unless and until he got what he came here for. And I know what he wanted, answers. I glanced at him from under my eyelashes, he had a determined look on his face, while his features hardened.

I looked towards Zoha, she was busy talking to Sami bhai.

Dhookebaaz!

From my peripherical view, I saw Wali moved forward to say something.

I hurriedly stood up. Zoha looked at me.

"Of course. I'll bring juice for both of you. Wait here," I told them, moistening my dry lips, I gave them a close-lipped smile. My eyes met Zoha's, I moved my eyes to Wali, signalling her not to let him come after me, and she nodded. As soon as she nodded, I scurried away from there, breathing a sigh of relief. It was what I needed, an excuse to get away from that room. There was so much tension in there.

Opening the fridge, I took out the juice and quickly filled the glasses with it, spilling it all around. It was not my fault, my hands were shaking. I wanted to get this over with, as soon as possible, so that they leave and I could relax my nerves and think. I cleaned that area and looked for the tray. I was busy finding the tray when I felt someone's presence in the kitchen.

I closed my eyes and exhaled out.

Damn it! Why did Zoha let him away from the room?

"Where is your phone, Aleyha?" I heard Wali's voice from behind me. His voice was calm. Extra calm.

Why does he keep calling me Aleyha? it makes me extra nervous when he calls me by my name.

I fidgeted with my fingers, trying to come up with an excuse.

"Uh... my phone? I don't know, it must be...uh...here somewhere. I couldn't find it too," I stammered, busying myself in finding the tray.

Damn it Aleyha, can't you lie smoothly?

"Oh! So you weren't able to find your phone, right?" he asked, his voice send chills down my spine and I controlled the urge to shiver. I know his face would be as hard as his voice.