Chapter 9: A Rude Interruption

"So let me get this straight, you're saying that our mother came back to life and is trying to do a spell to resurrect Mikael?" Klaus angrily spat in Kol's face.  I flinched at the angry tone of his voice.  

I know it's rude to eavesdrop but I really wasn't trying to at all.  I was going to tell Klaus about my plans for tonight with Madison and ask Rebekah for help on what to wear and when I came to the kitchen I stopped in my tracks at the argument that was taking place.

"Relax Nik, we don't even know if she'll be able to do the spell." Kol tried to reassure him.

"And if she succeeds?  Then what?" Rebekah voiced her concerns.  Who in the world was Mikael and why was it so awful if he came back?

"Well we have one white oak stake left, so it's simple... if he comes, we kill him." I let out a small gasp at Klaus' blunt and incredulous solution to this problem.  Of coarse that wasn't the smartest move in the world considering they all had supernatural hearing and could hear me.  

"Aspyn? Come on out, it's alright." I heard Elijah speak, loud enough for me to hear.  I took a shaky breath as I stepped out from behind the wall, showing my presence.  

"How much did you hear?" Klaus asked.  I stared down at my feet, afraid to face him and said the only thing that was rattling in my mind.

"Who's Mikael?" I asked, everyone in the room seemed to let out a collective sigh.  It was Elijah who spoke up.

"Our father.  We all have a complicated history with him, he's not a pleasant person." Klaus scoffed at Elijah's words.

"He destroyed our family" Klaus spoke, venom in his voice.  I looked up at him, seeing the fear in his bright blue eyes that were suddenly darker than usual.  I swallowed my fear and took a couple steps towards him.  I reached up and hesitantly pushed away a tear that fell from his eye. I furrowed my eyebrows.  I've seen this pain before, hell, I've felt this pain before.

"He hurt you like my father hurt me." I phrased my thoughts as a statement instead of a question.  Klaus looked at me in shock before he took a breath and reached up to hold my small hand in his own.  He nodded down at me.  

"I'm sorry." I whispered, meaning it truly.  I felt pain in my heart for him.  He's a thousand years old and this man still haunts him, that's a painfully long time to carry around that pain.

Klaus gave me a small smile, gave my hand a squeeze and then let go.

"What was it that you had come down to speak with us about?" Klaus asked, changing the subject.  I cleared my throat, suddenly nervous once again.

"U-Um Madison... she uh, asked me if I wanted to hang out to night.  She offered to show me the city." My voice was shaky and slightly unsure.  Rebekah let out a loud squeal causing me to jump.  

"Oh my gosh!  That's so cute!  What are you going to wear?" Rebekah asked, a huge smile on her face.

"Who said that she's going?" Klaus snapped at Rebekah causing me to flinch.  I knew this was a bad idea.  I suddenly felt as though the walls to the kitchen were coming in closer and like every breath I took was a weight on my lungs.  I felt a few tears well up in my eyes.  I felt frozen, like every part of my body was numb.

"Well why shouldn't she be able to!" Rebekah yelled back in frustration.  Klaus looked pissed to say the least and I felt my entire body start to shake.  I took a couple slow steps back from him.

"N-no it's okay, I shouldn't have asked." I forced out, my voice breaking off at the end before I whipped around and sprinted out of the room and up the stairs to my own bedroom.  I collapsed on the bed into a fit of sobs.  I felt like I couldn't breath and the room felt like it was spinning.  I grabbed my pillow and buried my face in it, seeking for any type of comfort.