9.1

CHAPTER ONE

A Day Unlike Any Other

- - - - -

In the beginning, six singularities floated in the nothingness. They were powerful, but they were shapeless. When life emerged, thundering into existence, these six extraordinary things were forged into tangible pieces of rock. The Infinity Stones. Each one became the embodiment of a unique aspect of the universe itself — Space, Time, Mind, Reality, Power, and Soul. They were scattered across the cosmos and fell into the hands of powerful beings, who used them to dominate entire civilizations. Individually, the Infinity Stones have been wielded by many, but no one has dared to accumulate them all.

Until now...

XANDAR
ANDROMEDA GALAXY

At first, there was nothing.

Followed by everything.

The Sentinel was home.

And it felt good to be back.

Pure, burning cosmic energy absorbed into his body at the speed of light. No, faster than that. It fuelled him. Adorned him with life. The stars welcomed him as if they were greeting an old friend. Eternity smiled a smile consisting of nebulae and solar flares at the sight of his son. It had been too long. The Sentinel felt his mind heal. As well as his wounds, his sorrow. The life bringing creation that swirled within him opened his eyes. His soul. His heart.

Despite being returned to the man he used to be, to the man he feared he would never get back to, he knew what he had to do. He had to fly. He had to see. He had to act fast. He was already behind. He was light years too late. But, he had to try. That was all he could do.

And to Ana, that was more than enough.

She witnessed her father being born again. It was a divine phenomenon that unfolded right in front of her eyes. Borderline miracle. She was afraid Marcus was already lost. That he couldn't be helped. But the cosmos proved her wrong. The universe laughed in her face. And the stars... well, they were more than happy to accomodate the daughter of the Sentinel. A familiar face. With familiar energy.

Marcus looked to his daughter with the galaxies in his eyes, and he smiled.

Ana took his outstretched hand.

Then, they raced to the light.

Xandar was the home of the Nova Corps — an intergalactic militia that harnessed limitless energy known as the Nova Force depending on their rank to enforce law and protect the peace among the galaxies. Their all-knowing supercomputer, Worldmind, was a self-preserving system that contained every piece of Xandarian history, arts, philosophies and consciousness of deceased Nova Corps members. Marcus had fought alongside the Nova Empire for decades and kept returning to Xandar after befriending a young human by the name of Richard Rider. They became brothers-in-arms. Family. From what Marcus could remember, Richard had risen to the ranks of a Centurion — how he did it still stumped Marcus to this day. Rider was young and reckless, yet determined and courageous. He could hold his own against an army. He was smart enough. He was strong enough.

Which is why Marcus was worried about him.

The Cosmic Awareness showed him a side of Richard he never thought he'd witness. The Nova was scared. Vulnerable. Alone. Marcus was beyond grateful for the chance to return to Xandar in light of recent events. And he couldn't thank his daughter enough for everything she had done for him in a short amount of time. He owed her. Big time. As he peered down at her to check on how she was doing travelling at the speed on light, his heart clenched. Their conjoined hands shone in a cosmic blue, but Ana's attention was solely on her father, and she smiled at him when they met eyes.