8.5

CHAPTER FIVE

Cosmic Awareness

- - - - -

MICHAELS RESIDENCE

Bucky woke up to the sound of fluttering. It was quiet, but enough for him to open his eyes. At first, he couldn't remember where he was. The events of last night still had him in a buzzed state. He could practically feel Ana in his arms with the taste of her lips lingering on his mouth. He didn't have to reach out far across the single bed to know she wasn't beside him. He raised his upper body from the mattress by angling his elbows underneath him. He reached up to rub his eyes with his right hand and frowned when he noticed Ana sitting crossed legged in front of the open window. The curtains were waving due to the air that filled the room.

"Ana?" Came Bucky's groggy call.

When she didn't respond to his voice, Bucky stood up and approached her, frown deepening when he noticed her eyes were closed. He looked down at her hands, finding that she had mystic runes rotating around her forearms. He then straightened up and realised what she was doing. Ana was meditating. The sorcerer way. He remembered when she told him about it. Ana would tell him it was a great chance to clear her head and relax. Bucky was well aware of the stress and pressure she had gone through to get to her father, so seeing her like this wasn't worrying him. In fact, he was glad she took time to focus on herself for a change. He leaned down and pressed a kiss on her head, not noticing the corners of her lips turn up gently.

Ana's Astral form hovered outside her open window and she smiled at Bucky as he strolled outside the room, calling for Marcus. She breathed in deeply and turned around to face the morning sun, exhaling slowly to help her nerves untether. She was well overdue for this. To allow her soul to be apart from her body. She felt a lot calmer outside the confines of her physical form. In her Astral body, she didn't feel the constant dull pain from her still healing wounds and scrapes. She enjoyed the feel of the wind that travelled through her. She liked to think it took some of her inferior thoughts and sensations with it. With a wide grin, Ana launched her weightless form into the air, reaching for the clouds. No one could hear the sound of her pure laughter as she weaved left and right along the way up. If they did, they would see the carefree woman with the stars in her sights.

Ana's arms were situated forward, guiding the rest of her body as she flew towards the sky. When she was high enough, Ana came to a stop and closed her eyes. She let her arms fall to her sides and dove backwards, breathing out at the wonderful sensation of free falling. Ana felt it was just as good as flying. She was getting further from the clouds, closer to the ground. Closer to reality.

The Astral Dimension was usually a quiet place. A peaceful place. It blocked out the constant noise and disturbance from the real world. The mystical plane should be tranquil. Composed. But, as Ana positioned her hands behind her head to further enjoy descending, she felt a ripple. It urged her to face the direction of the Sanctum Sanctorum. She could make out Greenwich Village to her right. Even at this height miles above ground, she found the Sanctum. The Window of Worlds reflected the sunlight in a way that told her it saw her too. And that it knew. The Sanctum felt what Ana was feeling.

Ana paused mid air and listened for the ripple. For the interruption in the otherwise uninterrupted dimension. Her head tilted upwards when an invisible force guided her focus to the stars. Ana frowned. What was it? What was the universe trying to tell her? When the ripple found her Astral form once again, it had become more distinguished. Less hazy. Enough for her to know it shouldn't be ignored.

When the universe calls, the Warrior has no choice but to answer, Ana thought to herself.

Ana's ears perked up when she could hear Bucky call her name. She frowned when he sounded frantic. "And when Bucky calls, Ana's gotta get her ass back to the real world."