9.8

CHAPTER EIGHT

S N A P !

- - - - -

WAKANDA

Bucky reached for Ana when he finally joined the team. His Vibranium hand settled on her lower back, circling around to stand beside her. They were all standing together on the edge of the jungle at a clearing where Vision had crashed into, with Corvus Glaive's body laying limp and cold on the ground a few feet from him with his own weapon in his chest. His fate had mirrored his wife's. The trees were tall and broad, leaves spreading out to reflect the sun away from the ground below, providing them with some shade. The air was a lot cooler there. Crisp and light. Ana had noticed her father and Thor stayed behind to finish off the rest of the Outriders that were planning to flee the planet unharmed by boarding their ships. Lightning and plasma blasts filled the air as more vessels dropped out of the sky in ruins.

No one uttered a sound. They were all too preoccupied feeling the change in the air. The dead leaves at Ana's feet were wafting off the floor when an abrupt gust of wind came out of nowhere. She stepped back and followed them as they travelled through the group and towards an empty part of the clearing. The cluster of dead leaves were followed by the low hanging branches on the trees as they shifted towards the area as if the air was sucking them in. Then the dirt and small rocks lining the earth moved towards it too.

Natasha had paid attention to the odd action. "What the hell?" She muttered.

Ana shifted in her position. She had taken Proxima's sword before meeting up with Steve, and released the hilt from a hook on her belt, gripping it tightly. It wasn't her Sword of Light. It could never compete with what it used to be. But it was a weapon, and a sharp one at that. Though, part of her knew it wouldn't make a difference. Nothing would. Before moving forward, and becoming the Warrior to protect Wanda and Vision as they debated on destroying the Mind Stone right then and there, regardless of Vision dying, Ana turned to the man at her side. Bucky was already gazing at her.

"Stay with me." She said. It was more like a desperate plea than a demand.

Bucky nodded, lips pressing together. "Always." He replied softly. So soft that Ana wondered if he even said anything. He reached up to hold the side of her face for only a moment. His breathing matched hers. It wasn't slow and steady, but short and rapid. Ana's eyes were glassy. They knew what was coming. They were afraid. But even with all of that on their minds, Ana and Bucky were relieved that they were together.

Ana's eyes zeroed in on the black and blue clouds forming out of thin air. They swirled around, growing into a large circle, big enough for someone to step through. The portal flashed with a blinding light, before revealing their foe. Thanos' hand that wore the Infinity Gauntlet was the first thing they saw as it emerged. Each Infinity Stone shone in unison, having felt the presence of their missing member. The Mind Stone blinked in response, earning a painful cry from Vision as it sent a surge of power throughout his artificial systems. Ana's heart refused to stand still. She could hear her own blood rushing through her veins. Yet, she remained where she was, stationed in front of Vision and Wanda. Everyone else positioned themselves as tiers of defence, with Steve at the head of the team.

Bruce was standing on the side. His armour had seen better days. Fortunately, it was still holding. He looked back at Steve, nodding his head. "Cap, that's him." He said, confirming everyone else's suspicions.

"Eyes up. Stay sharp." The Captain ordered.

T'Challa and Okoye were right behind Steve with Sam and Rhodey in the air. Bucky and Natasha were a few metres apart while Groot roamed the grounds in front of Ana. The others hadn't wasted time and attacked Thanos with everything they had and more. Ana could hear Vision and Wanda talk to each other, with Wanda growing more emotional by the second. Ana thought she was capable of separating herself from feeling the same way. That was until she saw the Time Stone among the rest of the Infinity Stone's on Thanos' hand. And just like that, she started to unravel.