Chapter 14

Edited.

Music blasted itself into my eardrums as soon as I entered the house. I closed the door just as several bodies pressed up against mine, rubbing across my exposed skin. With a scowl, I looked around.

The house, although fairly large, was covered in sweaty, hormonal teenagers. Multicoloured lights flashed to the beat of the music and red, plastic cups littered every surface. Everywhere I looked people would either be making out, dancing or throwing up.

I'm in one of these cliché young adult books as the loner who discovers herself at a cool kid's party, I thought with frown.

I strode forwards nonetheless, my mind full of one incentive. Find Aleena. I ducked under moving limbs, weaving through dancing strangers until a cat whistle halted me. I turned in my spot to see a tall boy whom I didn't recognise, his lips twisted into a drunken smile. I rolled my eyes and kept walking, the smell of cigarette smoke burning the back of my throat. I couldn't help but feel a bit surprised by the amount of teenagers in Brookefield who remained in the small town and were willing to break the strict curfew. I felt my eyebrows furrow as I narrowly dodged a guy's swinging arm. This was the Mayors home and yet he allowed his daughter to break the curfew he created. Double standards.

A lady wearing black and carrying a tray full of shots ambled past. I quickly manoeuvred my way around people to reach her before snatching two glasses from her tray. She shot me an alarmed look but I downed them before she said anything. Hopefully the alcohol will keep my nerves in check.

The lady continued to stare at me with wide eyes, like grabbing two shot glasses had been illegal in her opinion. Out of spite I grabbed two more and threw my head back to allow the burning liquid to travel down my throat.

"I don't think that's a good idea—"

I slammed the now empty shot glasses back on the tray, silencing her. "My life, my problems."

She looked at me worriedly before shuffling away, casting me a backwards glance of concern. God, whoever hired her made a stupid mistake.

A slurred voice interrupted my judgement towards the woman. "Hey beautiful. Want to add to that little collection of yours?" I spun around to face the boy who had cat whistled at me minutes before. His brown eyes were fuzzy from alcohol; however, his full lips were parted into a large grin.

I forced a sly smile to touch my lips. He held out a plastic cup to me, nearly dropping it in the process. I took it out of his hands in the hopes of saving the spilled contents.

"One, don't call me beautiful. Two, I'm now claiming this as mine and three, you need water." I said, attempting to hide the disgust out of my voice. He was looming close to me, enough to burst my personal bubble. I brought the drink to my lips and allowed it to slosh in my mouth before swallowing it.

He watched me drink with his darkened gaze that suggested he was thinking of something quite sinister. "I would like to formally introduce myself as Henry, your new root." He said, swaying like a leaf in the breeze. I idly wondered if he would fall on me.

I mustered a high pitched laugh. "Look Henry, you seem lovely but I'm not interested—"

"Are you going to tell me your name?" He interrupted to breathe heavily.

"Do I need to?" I said with an arched eyebrow. He was progressively getting closer to me and my patience was wearing. Henry's breath smelt of alcohol, his body radiating heat.

His eyes travelled over me, trailing over my body like a hawks. "No you don't," he said with a widening smile. I fought down the irresistible urge to rip his eyes out.