Chapter 45

A hush fell over the crowd, causing both Pincel and Miss Anderson to gaze around the court room excitedly. Chelsea was practically bouncing off her seat, her eyes flickering from her fathers to mine. No one made a noise, no one spoke, they all just gazed up to the two teenagers who remained cuffed to seats in front of the expressionless judge.

"Renee Aurora Argent," I looked up to see the judge speak, his eyes unwavering from mine. "You have been brought here today due to the suspicions of murder."

I held his gaze, refusing to show any signs of submission. The judge then turned to Isaac, his frown deepening. "And Mr Isaac Cole Jackson, you have been brought here today due to general rising suspicions of behaviour."

Isaac didn't blink at this, his eyes blazing against the harsh court room lights.

The judge then turned to the crowd, examining them with dark eyes. I had been to one court case before as a little girl. Mum was interested in the way Brookefield handled the law and politics back then. Back when she actually did something with her life. I knew how unfair the procession was and how Brookefield had managed to stay under the radar for unethical court practising's.

"Jury's, you may take your place." The judge said, his eyes pin pointing certain locals in the gathering crowd. This was a process that was acts of betrayal. No one knew who the Jury's were until the deciding day. Everyone was sworn to secrecy until the judge asked them to take their place on the jury stand. A buzz went through the room as the Chelsea and Izzy stood from their places and picked their way through the crowd, whispering to each other as they went. I saw out of the corner of my eye as the Mayor flashed Chelsea a quick smile, causing Chelsea to beam proudly. This was all a game for her. A game to see me convicted of something so serious that I would suffer from it until my dying day. No matter how close my death was.

More whispers went through the room as Miss Anderson and Mr Osmin rose from their separate seats, walking over to take their rightful place next to the other juries. More people followed them, some of which I had never seen before. Pincel was eying the gathering juries with a smirk, knowing that over half of them had already formed a negative opinion on me.

Harry shuffled uncomfortably beside the Sheriff, his gaze shifting over several faces but his eyes never met mine. I scanned my eyes across the prosecutor bar, identifying several police officers I had run into. Officer Perry, Officer Grove and Officer Correll all stared at me with shared looks of suspicion, their eyes narrowed.

Finally, two more people rose from their spots from the back rows of the court, and I sucked in breath when I recognised their faces.

Aaron and Ethan walked over to the jury stand, their heads ducked as they went. Now a murmur flooded through the community, with locals whispering to each other rapidly. Ethan took his place beside Izzy, causing her to shuffle closer to Chelsea, her gaze darkening in annoyance. She didn't even look at him as she frowned, her hands clenching by her side. I looked over to Aaron, trying to catch his eye but they remained fixed on the judge, his face set with worry.

Finally, once all the juries had taken their place, the Judge motioned towards the prosecutor's bar, nodding towards Pincel.

"Begin." He said, his voice deep with authority.

Pincel rose from his spot, the weaponry on his belt clinking as he did so. He whirled to the crowd, forcing his smile to vanish so he looked impossibly serious, his façade so clearly fake to me but I could tell by the respectful looks in the audience eyes that they greatly appreciated and looked up to their Sheriff.

"As you all know, Brookefield has lost over forty children over the past eight months, with the disappearances increasing to daily over a period of time." Pincel began, his eyes scanning the locals. I noticed some journalist standing at the far back door scribble his words hastily, their faces pale as they did so. "The police force had done everything they could to uncover the mystery of these disappearances but only came away with two pairs of footprints left in the forest."