Chapter 23

Edited. 

Time froze. I felt the breath escape my lungs, creaking through my ribs to rush through my parted lips. There was a moment of split silence before my eyes narrowed onto the pair of black sneakers directly below me.

They did not belong to an Officer.

My dignity fled to my stomach, flushing my cheeks to well with heat. I could only picture what I looked like, crawling on my hands and knees out of an office with a piece of paper clamped in my mouth. Swallowing the dread in the back of my throat, I inclined my head.

"Isaac?" I said in surprise. He looked dreadful. His hair hung in a wild tangle around his face, knotted and curled in a furry of brown. His eyes were a dulled grey, paling to a distant look of utter tiredness. His lips were cracked and dry, splitting at the sides. Bags socketed his eyes, like dark moons etched into his pale skin.

"What are you doing here?" he repeated. I couldn't read his face, it was hidden by his tilted lips and concealed eyes. No emotion was captivated across his features. It was like staring into an oncoming storm. Dark, mysterious and deadly.

I rose from the ground, brushing myself off for good measure. As I did, my brain scanned for a lie. Retrieving the piece of paper from my mouth, I stuffed it into my jeans pocket. Isaac's gaze followed every moment, an expression of thoughtfulness drawing his eyebrows together. He didn't voice his curiosity.

I opened my mouth to reply, however only air escaped them.

His brows arched. "Well?" he prompted.

I met his tricoloured eyes, noticing the way they were damp with exhaustion. Curls tickled his long eyelashes, brushing against his gaze. It was like a softened barricade from his piercing eyes.

"I was looking for an officer," I suddenly blurted. "I needed to report something."

Isaac searched my face, taking in my reddened cheeks and flushed face. "Is that so?" he asked casually, his face changing to one of amusement. He knew I lied. It was obvious in the way his lips quirked ever so slightly, dimpling his cheeks.

He was enjoying this.

"Yes," I elaborated hastily. "But that's beside the point." I made a step around him. "I probably should be on my way, I have to—"

Isaac quickly stepped in front of me, blocking my path. The movement caused his scent to hit me. Pine. It floated off him like mist. "Go back to hospital where you should be?" he finished.

I stiffened, and met his gaze. His lips were falling into his knowing smirk. He moved a lock of his hair away from his eyes.

"No," I said. I was too sharp, too indignant. Immediately Isaac's smile widened. Losing time, I made a move to duck under his arms. "Look Isaac, I have to go. Thanks for the chat, but I—"

"Need to answer me," Isaac interrupted again, stepping closer. I could feel the heat radiate off him. I pressed my lips together, forcing myself to remain placid. I always used to consider his height a beacon of strength. When he loomed over others, I told myself it was an act of intimidation, but Isaac wasn't intimidating me, but merely using his height as a barricade.

What he didn't know was that height can have its weaknesses. I could easily dodge under his arms, make a run for the glass doors and exit the station the moment I wanted to.

Shifting my eyes back to his, I gave him the most generic smile I could muster. "My apologies Isaac, but I don't answer to anyone, now if you'll excuse me," I brushed past him, my shoulder colliding into his side.