Chapter 48

The Judge was quick to shoo the rest of us out of the court house, dismissing us with the flick of his hand before nodding at the officer carrying the dagger. He had asked for Pincel and Miss Anderson to stay behind.

The guard escorting me out shoved me but I pushed back. "Watch it," I hissed. "I'm a human being, not a sack of potatoes."

The guard only smirked at this but stopped his pushing, instead manoeuvring me to the front door. I wanted to hear what the Judge had to say, as well as Miss Andersons excuse for having the dagger but I knew that was not an option. A memory still stirred as I remembered the dagger. I knew something about it, but as soon as I thought about it, my mind misted, like I was grasping water but every time my hands clutched at an answer, it slid through my fingers. I felt myself frown as I took a step out of the court house. The guard told me to wait for my mother and go home before reporting to the police station to sign papers tomorrow but I barely heard him. My mind was still chasing the past, tripping over various events that had happened today.

Isaac lying for me, Aaron accusing Isaac, Harry handing him the gun, Pincel gripping my arm, Coltons mothers screams, Isaacs confessions, the dagger, Mr Harrington running to me, Harrys gun, Isaacs teary eyes. It was all coming crashing back.

This very girl tore apart Amber Harringtons body.

I flinched and began walking, shaking my head to rid of my thoughts.

Maybe your victims put up a good fight before you took their life.

I walked faster, ignoring the sound of my mother's and Ethan's voice calling for me to come back. My slow stride began to lengthen in time to the whirling of my thoughts. I now knew there was two daggers. The one that Miss Anderson said she found in the woods that had Isaac and I's blood. But then there was another one that Isaac had thrown. It was a different design from what I had seen. Its hilt was made from animal bone, its blade curved sharply into a hook. It was a completely different from the one Isaac and I had dropped in the forest.

She was the main reason why Aleena is in a coma.

But then a hand tore at my arm, causing me to spin around. I gasped as my eyes focused on a pair of green and gold eyes. Usually my heart would leap at his presence but now all he brought me was anger.

"Don't touch me." I hissed, yanking my arm out of his grip. His mouth fell into a deep frown as he looked at me. He was incredibly pale, his once tanned skin drenched with uneasiness. His eyes were dowsed with anxiety, his ruffled hair a signal of his restlessness.

"Renee I can explain-"

"No." I interrupted, squinting against the gathering pain in my head. "I don't want to hear it."

"I have a reason, Isaac isn't who you think he is-" He tried to say but I quickly spoke over him again.

"You know nothing of who Isaac is." I snarled, taking a step away from Aaron so I could no longer smell his honeycomb scent. "He was never the one behind the murders and you know it as well. You lied straight to the court for what? To see him cuffed or hurt? To see him being dragged away?" My breaths were coming out in huffs now, lost in the gathering wind. "I don't understand you. You treated me with such kindness and said you wouldn't hurt him, and now here you are accusing him of something he didn't even do."

Aarons eyes flashed angrily. "You know nothing of who he truly is. Parts of his story were true today Renee, you're just too oblivious to see it."

I saw red, my anger once again blazing in my veins. It was like a fire was stirring in the pits of my stomach, licking up the walls of my throat to control my words.