Chapter 46

People burst from their seats on seats, running to every exit they could find. Several people tripped, skidding to a halt in the walk way. Some old locals begged for the mercy of God, while mothers pushed their kids closer to them. Mr Harrington made a run for Isaac, his eyes maddened with grief but not before an officer jumped from the bar, colliding into him to stop him from reaching Isaac. Pincel was staring dumbfounded from the broken cuffs to Isaac, his eyes narrowed in sudden suspicion. However, no one was paying attention to the discarded cuffs but more towards Isaacs confessions. Harry grew pale from the side lines while the Judge only swallowed loudly.

"Kill him!" Yelled a local from the back row, their face streaked with tears.

"Kill him for what he did to my daughter!" I spun to see an older woman scream from her spot, pointing a dirty finger at Isaac.

I whirled around as an older man rose from his seat to shout across the room. "He killed my son!"

Soon everyone was shouting furiously, swear words tumbling into each other while accusations and harassments echoed around the room. But then a sound louder than all the noises combined jolted everyone into silence. We all turned to see Miss Anderson holding the judges hammer. He was glaring at her, clearly appalled at her behaviour but she ignored him entirely.

"LIAR!" She spat, her eyes on mine as she waved the hammer. Her irises were wild, her hair flying out into a frizz as she turned to address the shocked crowd. "Can't you see what she is doing?"

No one answered, however a few people glanced anxiously at each other. I noticed Ambers father breathing heavily, one of the officers I didn't recognise restraining him.

She pointed a bony finger at me that wavered as she breathed heavily. "She has manipulated all of you." She yelled, her face twisted with anger. She turned back to the judge and bowed her head at him. "Your honour, Renee is a con artist. I ask you to hear me out and listen."

The Judge studied her, his pen clutched in his hand. His gaze flickered to Isaac who remained motionless beside me and to Aaron who looked like dessert had been taken away from him.

"Go on." He finally said with a sigh after some time. Miss Anderson cracked him a relieved smile before whirling back to the startled crowd.

"My dear friends, Renee has managed to get away with several murders." She nodded at Coltons mother who was dabbing a tissue to her eyes and then to Mr Harrington who stood tensely beside the officer. "She has wormed her way out of every situation and has managed to threaten Isaac into sacrificing himself for her."

Isaac opened his mouth to speak but Miss Anderson didn't let him.

"A murderer always has a plan B." She continued, her eyes like a vulture as she stared hungrily out towards the crowd. "Isaac uncovered Renee as the murderer and in response, Renee has clearly threatened him to make sure he lies to the court."

Several people gave each other uneasiness looks however some people nodded.

"People of Brookefield," She rose her voice to address some people who remained whispering to each other. "Can't you see the murderer is standing right here in front of you, while we turn a blind eye and pin point a boy who has no record of suspicious behaviour?" There were a few murmurs of agreement however others still looked doubtful.

"Can't you see she clutched the very dagger that was left in the woods, stabbing the hearts of children one by one?" Her voice boomed again, echoing in the silent room. Everyone gazed up at her then me, fear evident in their eyes. I gritted my teeth, forcing myself to stay silent before I could come up with a plan.