Six

Freya's POV

I couldn't breathe. I felt my grip on the knife slack. There was a clang. But that didn't matter.

Viggo had died... for him.

The riders didn't kill him. But they were the cause of his death.

I clenched my fists. Pain shot through my palms as my nails dug into my skin.

For some reason, Viggo chose to die to keep Hiccup alive. I narrowed my eyes.

Or so he says.

Furious, I looked back at him. His emerald eyes were wide with realization and... concern? Why on Earth would he care? Pushing the thoughts aside, I grabbed my knife and held it to his throat.

"Explain all the details!" I ordered, my eyes darkening with hate. He gulped, his Adam's apple rubbing against the knife. I didn't slack.

Hiccup would either explain and prove it... Or he would see what this blade could do.

"Freya, Viggo chose to fend off Traitor Johann and Krogan alongside a skrill. He had been sho-"

"Who shot him?" I snapped, my face going red. Fuming, I pressed the knife further to his neck.

"Guards. We were on Johann's base where Viggo performed a triple cross," he paused. I pierced his skin; I needed to know. "But Johann figured it out and attacked. I'm so sorry, he didn't ma-"

"I know that!" I yelled, drawing back the knife and throwing it at the wall. It stuck. "There's no way he miscalculated, he never does!"

With my blurry vision I could just about see Hiccup frowning, but I couldn't examine his expression well. I was shocked, mourning, frustrated and now it was coming out - ruining the facade I built. I just got more frustrated, more angry and more emotional.

"Where was this?!" I demanded.

"Johann's base," he replied camly.

"I heard you the first time! I ment where is the base!"

"If you have a map I can-" I shushed him by throwing my map at his face, stifling his speech. He shook his head and as it fell, it landed upside down. I groaned. Quickly I turned it the right way up, my cheeks heating a little more at the stupid mistake.

He pointed and I scowled. It was quite far, and if I sailed-

My stomach went cold. My boat was destroyed, I would have to either make one or steal one or or...

"Freya, if I may," Hiccup began, his voice soft and the fact that he was treading eggshells so obviously just irritated me, "don't recklessly go to the base. There are traps, mazes and certain death. The base wasn't abandoned."

I shot him a furious glare. I needed to investigate and get the information I craved. I also needed to find the guards who apparently shot him for confirmation. I'd have to scare the information out of them, as my existence had been kept secret from the Dragon Hunters.

My plan changed. I was going to get the riders to flee, then search for answers as to why Mother blamed Hiccup for Viggo's death. But now I needed to know how it happened, and if Hiccup is in fact as innocent as he seems.

"Okay... But Johann," at the mention of his name I hissed, clearly shocking Hiccup but he continued, "has littered the place with his presence. I don't know who's there-"

"Implying that a person of high rank or a considerable number of people have left," I finished. He nodded slowly.

"Don't go alone." I stared at him with my best poker face. Unable to read my thoughts, he sighed. "I understand that-"