Eighteen

??? POV

I tried to lower my shoulders, but they were too tense.

Conserned mumbling could be heard from the Hunters behind me as we sailed into the base. Below deck, there were roars and snarls as the changewing continued to lash out desperately. I nodded at my second in comand and he swiftly walked down. Almost instantly, the cries stopped.

Good old dragon root.

We swiftly headed around the island, following the river into the core of the base. Halfway in, the waterflow thinned, and we were forced to board.

"Set up the plank men, and grab the cage," I ordered, but my voice lacked the usual power. Quickly, the unconscious dragon was brought up and we all stood on the side.

It didn't take long before Boss showed up.

The mountain of a man narrowed his eyes as he approached.

"That doesn't look like a full shipment of changewings," he growled, voice low.

I took a hesitant step forward. "No, Sir, however, we believe that this one is special."

He raised an eyebrow, unimpressed. "Oh? How so?"

"This is the one with greater hypnosis," I explained.

Boss' eyes widened as he pushed passed me. I watched as he squinted at the beast.

Time froze as he examined the changewing.

I shuffled awkwardly, murmuring preyers to Thor. Please let this go well.

"Yer might be right. Get this dragon into the central containment unit!" he thundered, grabbing his sword.

My eyes caught the movement.

"Excuse me, sir, may I ask why you have the sword?"

He glared at me. "No."

He turned away.

I took a deep breath. Mumbling my thanks to the Gods, I turned to board the boat once more.

Something cold pressed against my throat.

Eyes wide, I glanced up to see Boss scowling.

"Did I give yer permission to leave?" he spat.

I flinched. "N-no."

"For that blatant disrespect, you can be the first to be tested. Follow me." Gulping, I hobbled along, ever conscious of the blade against my neck.

Sweat dropped from my forhead onto the metal. I couldn't focus, couldn't think.

We passed corridoors and chanels, many of which I had never entered, the changewing in its cage behind us. There were faint scratches as it stirred, the effect of the dragonroot solution wearing off.

Suddenly, Ryker shoved me forwards into a chamber. Two men grabbed my arms, dragging me towards chains. Pulling, I resisted, but to no avail. With two loud 'clacks!', I was handcuffed to the spot.

"Please," I whispered, but I was ignored. I could only watch as the men - who I used to command - position the cage opposite me.

"Wake the wrenched thing up!" Boss orderd, and one of the men angled his spear at the beast. All it took was a quick jab. Roaring, the changewing leapt up, back arched as it took in its surroundings. Still slightly drousy, it blasted at Ryker, but hit the bars.

The alloy didn't disintergrate in the slightest.

Surprised, it fired again. And again. And again. Still nothing.