Seventeen

Hiccup's POV

"So let me get this straight, you were besties with Freya in navigation class years ago."

"Yep."

"And this was before we stopped the war with dragons."

"Yep."

"And someone we can maybe trust thinks that maybe someone who wants to kill all of us might know a potential solution to this condition."

"Yeah, that's about it."

I sighed. The chances didn't look good, but a chance to save Fanghook couldn't be ignored. Toothless crooned slightly, nuzzling my hand. Relaxing, I patted his head, before looking back up at Gustav.

"Do you think we can trust her, Gustav? Honestly, please," I asked.

Instantly his gaze dropped from mine to the floor. When he did glance up, his eyes held fear.

"I know it might feel like betrayal to your friend, but we have to be careful here. You didn't know she was a Grimborn, then. For all we know she could be with Ryker. People change," I pressed.

Gustav shuffled slightly. "I know, Hiccup. But I don't think she is. I mean, maybe it could be a trap, but why would she do that?"

"Let's be theoretical for a moment, here. Presuming she is in fact working with Ryker, what would she do? She would damage our resoures, give him the Dragon Eye 'by accident'," I did the quotation marks, "and then lure us into a trap."

Gustav looked horrified.

I continued. "The fact that she knew you is the cherry on top. A false sence of security, if you like." Pausing, I looked at Gustav. He seemed shocked - maybe even a little confused. Sure, my logic probably could've been just coincidence, but it's unlikely.

"Maybe, Hiccup. But she was my best friend, when I didn't have many. Too busy pretending to be Snotlout. I don't... she wouldn't betray us like that..."

"I hope not. Let's get back to Berk, find some more dragon nip, and try to find a solution to Fanghook's 'instinct'."

Nodding, Gustav hopped onto Fanghook, stroking his dry scales lovingly. Without another word, we took off for Berk.

While we flew, Gustav slightly behind me, I couldn't help but wonder. What exactly had happened to Fanghook? Clearly this had gone on before Freya was here, so she coudn't have poisoned him. If she was telling the truth, then maybe it was some sort of 'alpha' instinct? Could it be that male nightmares challenge their alpha when coming of age to be sure the pack is the strongest it can be?

As if understanding my thoughts, Toothless purred slightly. Having defeated the Red Death, and being a night fury, Toothless was respected and followed by most of the dragons on Berk. But he couldn't fly.

Fanghook is a large monstrous nightmare, with incredible firepower, who had trained for years. If this instinct kicked in, his actions would be quick and fury-filled.

A battle with these two would surely be brutal.

I hope my logic is wrong.

*

"Aaarrgh!" someone yelled to our right. Gustav and I turned, touching down on the land near my hut.

"That no-good scrawny daughter of a half-troll rat-eating urrgh!" Astrid shouted, hurling an axe into the ground.

"Woah woah woah Astrid!"

She breathed heaily before glaring at me.

I slid off Toothless. "What happened?"