Nineteen

??? POV

"Put yer backs into it, or I'll leave yer to the beasts!" Boss ordered. Despite my muscle's protests, I rowed faster, but still struggled to increase the pace of the vessel.

The metalic floors gave off sonorous sounds whenever someone walked, allowing me to pinpoint Boss' moevement towards me.

"I said," he spat, leaning over, "to put your backs into it."

Gulping, I nodded, silently working harder. He grunted in approval, turning away to leave.

My arms ached as if I was holding up the sky. But remembering my previous leader's face as the changewing overpowered him kept me going. At this point, there were only two things on Boss' mind - neither were good.

**

Hiccup's POV

Toothless ecolated through the caves, searching for Gustav. For this plan to work, we needed as many experienced soldiers as possible, especially the A-team. We had sent terror mails to the Wing Maidens and Beserkers, who may not be able to come.

There was a slight sniffling up ahead. I slowly dismounted Toothless, treading lightly. A small fire casted looming shadows against the uneven walls. I could just make out a figure and a monstrous nightmare.

"Gustav?" I asked delicately.

Instantly the sound stopped. Turning away, for fear of me catching the tears in his eyes, Gustav stiffened.

"What do you want?" he snapped.

"We were, um wondering if you and uh, were-" I stumbled for the right phrasing, suddenly too aware of my body position, "we're about to attack, um, and need your help."

He scoffed, whipping round.

"Please. If you needed my help, you would've tried to save Fanghook," he accused.

Fanghook raised his head slightly, as if only just acknologing my presence. Two distant eyes landed on my own, the mustard-yellow gaze void of any strength.

I took a slow step forwards. "I want to, honestly. But we don't have time right now."

He narrowed his eyes. "Well then I don't have time to help."

Irritation crept up on me. This was childish.

I crossed my arms, "Gustav! This is serious! Should Ryker learn how to hypnotise people, we're all a lost cause! Get your head in the game!"

He looked directly at me, his sorrowful eyes landing on mine.

"Without Fanghook I am already," he whispered.

I froze. Any frustration I had vanished.

It wasn't fair for me to expect this much from Gustav when Fanghook was dying. Fanghook - his dragon, his best friend. The only being that was there for him when the Riders shut him out, when even his own mother neglected him. And he was losing him.

Cold guilt engulfed me as if I had fallen into icy water.

"I-I didn't-, Gustav," I murmured, watching as he turned away slowly.

I casted my eyes downward, ashamed of my outburst.

"Just go." He spoke softly, voice cracking.

Silently I mounted Toothless.

"I'm sorry," I tried, knowing all too well that it fell on deaf ears. "We'll interrogate Dragon Hunters and find out more. I promise."

*