Chapter 33 | Her Boldness

刘  映 月

┊⠀┊⠀┊

┊⠀✧⠀┊

┊⠀⠀⠀ ✦

✦⠀⠀⠀⠀

Liu Ying Yue

Zhang Wei is so similar to him in a way, yet they're so different...

Sitting around a table, the lot silently stared at Jin An Fen as he slowly swirled the tea around in his cup with a drowsy expression. Ying Yue took a sip of the warm liquid, cautiously glancing between her husband and his older brother as they eyed each other down. Lu Cang guiltily looked over at her every so often with a resigned expression as Feng Mian's face reddened upon continuously staring at the lord of the assassins. 

"So..." An Fen tilted his head as he shot Ying Yue a flirtatious smile, "If I was ten years younger, I would definitely--"

...If he's in his thirties, he certainly looks young for his age...

"Shut up and get to the point." The cup in Zhang Wei's hand let out a sudden crack as a fragment broke off.

"Hm...How stingy, brother." An Fen simply leaned back in his chair with a casual sigh as Ming Yu set the red scroll on the table in front of him.

Ah...It's fortunate that Zhang Wei gave it to him for safekeeping before everything that happened...

"...I agree with Zhang Wei." The physician raised an expectant eyebrow. "We deserve answers."

"Of course...How impatient. I was just getting to the explanations." He let out a yawn and stretched lazily, slowly overcome by a wave of seriousness in his composure. "First of all...Zhang Wei. Ying Yue. It's unfortunate hearing about what had happened."

For some reason, it feels more like a criticism when he says it...

"Well. It's obvious that news has traveled around." Her husband responded icily, giving his older brother a pointed stare.

An Fen took a sip of his tea, the corner of his lips turned up in a slight smirk. "No, no. I learned about everything way before them."

"...What?" Zhang Wei hissed. "...So, you are saying that you have been keeping a watch the whole time--yet you didn't bother to interfere?"

"In a way--yes. However--" he leaned forward in his chair. "Don't get the wrong idea. That is because I know my place. It is better for me to stay in the shadows rather than involve myself in others' business."

"You--!" Ying Yue nudged her husband in the side with an elbow, prodding his brother to continue on. It was only understandable that Zhang Wei was enraged, as he could have been spared from the various consequences if only his brother chose to step in. However, it also made sense that An Fen only could have stood by considering his circumstances.

After all, Empress Dowager Jin did mention he was exiled for some reason...

"Zhang Wei...That doesn't excuse how I'm rather disappointed at your lack of action--and this is as some brotherly advice. As of now, you and your wife over here have bounties over your heads."

"Well, I'm rather disappointed in how you chose not to hold those responsibilities in the first place, brother--"

"An Fen Ge. You were exiled from the palace, correct?" Ying Yue broke in before her husband could start mouthing off even further.