Chapter 37 | Her Ascendance

刘 映 月

┊⠀┊⠀┊

┊⠀✧⠀┊

┊⠀⠀⠀ ✦

✦⠀⠀⠀⠀

Liu Ying Yue

To my dear husband,

How much time has passed since we last saw each other? How much longer will we have to stay in hiding because of an illusion held up by our power-hungry enemies?

It has been revealed to me that Consort Sui--a woman I once viewed as my mother--along with a man I once respected as an emperor were responsible for wiping out the remaining members of my direct bloodline. In addition to that, their twisted plans of taking over the realms and branding us as the ultimate traitors has officially risen to the surface. Because of our failure, the citizens have to suffer as a result--and we cannot stand by any longer.

Once the lantern arises and sets in the west, it is time to act to secure the realms' peace.

Please take care in the meantime--and remember that I will always remain besides you as a faithful wife and the empress of Jin. Our union only painted us as incompetent leaders in our people's eyes, but meeting you will always be a blessing. 

This message, which she had diligently written and delivered to a printing shop, would help to completely shift the people's alliance to her side once the fliers on the exiled empress's 'intercepted' letter got out. It certainly was strange how people tended to change perspectives on previous events which rose to the surface again, and Ying Yue was sure that this would also be the case with its emotional drive. 

...I feel like I put too much of my true thoughts into that letter--but no one has to know that...

She narrowed her eyes in a pleased expression as the crowd burst out in a series of yells, some even pushing forward to attack. Guards immediately surrounded the flaming carriage to subdue the raging townspeople and put out the fire--yet it was too late. A gust of wind brushed away the curtains for a brief moment to reveal the carriage's empty interior.

"Do you take us as fools?!"

"You lowly guards are just as cowardly as that asshole of an emperor--!"

"...This is even better than what I had expected," Zhang Wei let out a low whistle as he observed the scene below. His satisfied expression immediately gave way to his underlying uneasiness as he turned to face her with a frown. "I..." He hesitated on his next words.

She stepped closer to him, knowing what he was about to say. "...Zhang Wei."

His obsidian eyes flashed with self-restraint. "...Yes, my dear wife--"

Without hesitation, Ying Yue grabbed the front of his robes and pulled him down into a quick kiss as he froze.

"You worry too much," she muttered against his lips before drawing back and placing a hesitant hand on his face. "...If you follow me and go against the plan, I am never sleeping in the same bed as you again. So...Take care."

He blinked down with a slight sulking expression. "...You know me too well..."

She quickly covered his lips with her hand as her husband leaned down once again. Ying Yue glowered at him as she began tying the black cloth around the lower half of her face. "...Enough with the unnecessary physical affection."