A Mask, A Façade, An Act

--Diana--

My sister and I were not close. My brother and I even less. I wondered whether it was my fault at times, but the blame would usually default on my father. Ashton would be the same I presumed. It was why both of us left that family. Though, I was at least still allowed to keep the family name, unlike my brother. 

Nicolette at that time, unfortunately, had no choice but to stay. She was only 10 when the incident that took our youngest brother happened. However, I suspected, that age was not the reason she stayed. I'm sure she shared the largest load of guilt out of all of us. 

She loved Father in a strange way. And, Father undoubtedly loved her in return. Probably because he loved loyalty, which was what Nicki continued to display to him. It was no secret that he spoiled her greatly, pouring the attention he used to share amongst all of us into Nicki alone now. Regardless, it was still not very affectionate. 

My sister was a strange character to me. Though many people may dismiss her as a shallow and basic person, I knew that there was some depth to her. She was not as sweet as people may assume her to be. 

And, last night, was a testament to that. 

When I had snuck off from the festivities and noise. On a lonely, quiet balcony on the other side of the house, I heard the voice of my sister. 

"I wonder if I should feel bad for this?" I stilled just before I could round the corner leading out to the balcony. Her distinct voice, as little as I hear it nowadays, sounded nearby. 

Someone else was with her. A guy whose voice wasn't that familiar, let out a dismissive chortle. "Why should you? You don't know this girl and this wedding was just for show anyway. It's not as if King actually cares about her." I perked up an eyebrow in curiosity about the subject of their conversation. Were they talking about Eloise and Ashton? My front pressed into the frame of the door and I tried to peek over to see if I could spot them. Nicki's figure was by the railing, hunched over whilst looking into the inky sky. Behind her was a couch with a man sprawled comfortably over it, his arm perched on the top. I think I've seen him before. 

An audible sigh from Nicki brought my eyes back onto her sullen figure. It was a rare appearance for Nicki to sport. "She's still just a girl at the end of the day though, Jake," she mumbled regrettably into the air with her head hung. Instantly, I recognised that name. Jacob Truven, the eldest son of the Truvens. I had forgotten that they had started dating. I suppose I suspected Nicki to have ended up with his brother instead, given how close they were. 

"I've seen you do worse at school," Jake commented, leading them into silence as Nicki took his words into consideration. A soft breeze fluttered through her hair as she diffused another sigh - of acceptance, this time and lifted herself upright from the railing. 

"Right. After all, we're just doing Eloise a favour in the end, aren't we?" She conceded as more of a reassurance for herself than an agreement on the matter. Nicki saunted back to the sofa and plopped into the seat beside him. They were huddled closely and I was trying to recall whether the news I had heard on their recent break up was true or not. "By the way, I never thought I'd see the day you'd act so protective over a girl. I'm not even sure if it was really even an act after all," Nicki mentioned jokingly, though the tension of that statement would have suggested otherwise. It aroused an amused bout of conniving laughter from Jake Truven, veered it with a slid of his hand up her cheek to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Are you jealous? Should I try it with you sometime as well then?" He murmured with a suave charm as he leaned in for a kiss. I felt my features crumple in distaste of what was about to happen and almost felt inclined to leave right then and there.