Chapter 6

*Edited*

Chapter 6

Elizabeth's POV

~The Next Day~

I wake up and look outside, to see that it's still dark. I quietly get off of my bunk, get my uniform and make my way towards the bathroom to change.

When I get there, I walk in, take a shower and put on my uniform, making sure to put my belts correctly. I walk out of the bathroom and go to the training grounds. I stretch for a few minutes and start jogging around the grounds, waiting for the Mess Hall to open.

After a few minutes, I start to hear footsteps following me. I look back and see the instructor, stop and walk towards him, saluting. "Sir!"

"Cadet Magnolia, you're up early." He says calmly and I drop my salute. "I hope I didn't break any rules, sir. I just woke up and went for some exercise." I state calmly. "Don't worry, cadet. You aren't breaking any rules. For a girl from The Underground, you sure are disciplined."

"I find no need to disrespect you, sir. It's as simple as that." He nods and starts to walk away.

A few hours later, I start to walk to the Mess Hall, seeing it empty. I take my food and walk to the same table as yesterday. I start to eat and after a few minutes, the door opens, revealing Atsushi. His eyes meet my figure and he smiles. I give him and small wave and he walks towards me. "Aren't you going to eat anything?" I ask him raising an eyebrow. "You need it more than me. Like you said, fourteen years in that dump has to be hard." He says, taking a tray of food and giving to me. I look at him and shake my head. "I can't accept this." I say pushing the tray back to him. "It's yours. I already have my food and it's more than enough."

~Time Skip~

After getting Atsushi to eat and finishing our food, we walk out of the Mess Hall and go to the training grounds, to wait for the rest. "So, anything you could tell me about you that won't get me killed?" Atsushi asks as we sit on a corner of the training grounds. "Well, if it was any other person, then no. But since you treated me like a normal person and didn't judge me because I was a thug or criminal, I guess I can make an exception." I look at him and a small, genuine, smile makes its way to my face. "Let's see... I have an older sister named Isabel, who also got caught, but since she's sixteen, she got taken directly into the Survey Corps, along with two of my only family. We're not blood related, but they're what I have left.​"

"Wow... So I'm guessing the branch you're going to choose is the Survey Corps?" I nod and he smiles. "That's good! 'Cause I'm going there too!" He says happily.

"I just..." I sigh and look at the ground. "I just hope they will be okay... I couldn't live with myself if something happened to any of them..." I look up and see Atsushi staring at me with a look of pity in his face. "Don't look at me like that! I don't need your pity!" I cross my arms and look somewhere else, that isn't him. "You're really stubborn, you know that?" He says. "So? If I wasn't I would have been dead a long time ago." I sigh and stand up extending my hand towards Atsushi. He takes it and I pull him up. Once we stand up, a few more cadets walk out of the Mess Hall. I start to move away from Atsushi and he looks at me confused. I stop for a moment and look at him. "I don't wanna ruin your reputation, so just don't come near me..." I say, turn back around and keep walking away.

~Time Skip~

After a few more minutes, the instructor walks towards us. He stands in front of all the trainee's and clears his throat. The talking dies down and everyone pays attention to him. "YOU WILL KEEP WORKING ON HAND TO HAND COMBAT! PARTNERS WILL BE ASSIGNED BY ME!" He screams and starts partnering people.

After a few minutes of random names I don't even know who they belong to, he motions towards me and I walk towards him. "You are a special case, and since we're currently an odd number, I took the liberty of looking for someone who'll actually make you work ." He looks to his left and Levi walks towards us. I go wide eyed and my jaw drops. "L-levi?!" I stutter out and run towards him, tackling him in a hug.

Levi's POV

Elizabeth tackles me in a hug and I slowly hug her back. "It's only been a day, Elizabeth." I simply say. She lets me go and shrugs. "I've never been away from you, Farlan and Isabel like this. Plus..." She looks down. "What's wrong?" I ask, putting a hand on her shoulder. She looks at me. "I hate being alone..." She mutters sadly and I pull her into a hug. "Don't worry. This year will pass in the blink of an eye and you'll be back with Isabel, Farlan and me. I promise." I say and let her go. She may be two years younger than me and the others, but she doesn't deserve to be a part of all of this. "Now, let's get you trained." She nods and we walk to an empty spot. The instructor hands her a wooden knife and we stand in a fighting stance.

We circle each other for a few seconds, until she charges at me. She lifts her hand to punch me, but I know that's not what she's going to do. I have known the girl since she was eight for Sina's sake!

When she's close enough, she slides through my legs and tries to grab me from behind, but I duck and roll out of the way. I stand up and so does Elizabeth. We smirk at each other and continue the combat training, not caring about all the eyes watching us.