Chapter 3

"He deserves to die." A proud voice hovered in the darkness.

"He's dying now." This voice was familiar. Nerine?

Eko's body shook with seizures. He was dimly aware of hands pulling him away.

"Approaching the Heart unworthily is a terrible crime. He should be put on trial."

"Poseidon's retribution is already upon him. Isn't that enough?"

"It's unholy."

"Please, Father, he's only a boy."

"A very foolish one."

That was the last thing Eko heard.

All he could remember from the time that followed were the dreams; dreams he thought were realities, of limitless power, of becoming a god. When he awoke weeks later to find that he was still only a fish herder, he nearly plunged a dagger into his heart to end his shame and disappointment. If it hadn't been for Nerine, he might have done worse. She was the one thing that made the next three years bearable.

* * *

Nerine's voice broke through Eko's mind, interrupting his sleep. He dug his elbows into the seafloor and propped himself up. The light in his eyes slowly grew brighter as he came fully awake.

"Ekrios."

She was the only person who used his formal name. He recalled the fateful day he'd carried her back to Atlys. The day he'd touched the Heart of Poseidon and almost died. It seemed so long ago.

Gently, he entered Nerine's mind.

"Where are you?"

She made a pleased sound. "Right behind you."

Eko spun around, amusement lifting the corner of his mouth. Sometimes she was stealthy enough to be an assassin.

"Hello," she said, her smile coy. She was so familiar to him now. What started as a royal call to thank him for saving her life became a way to rebel against her father. She had pleaded for his life and it had been spared. But only because no one thought he would survive.

"I wasn't expecting you." His arms twitched with the urge to embrace her.

"Since when am I ever expected?"

She was right of course. He never anticipated her arrival. She came when she could no longer stand her overbearing father. She came when the pressures of being the future Nyxi were too much to handle. He was her secret escape, and it wasn't his place to question her motives.

"Shouldn't you be working?"

He glanced at his empty nets. "Fish aren't cooperating today. Besides, I was dreaming."

Interest peaked her brow. "Of what?"

"The sun." He looked up, hoping to catch a glimpse of a glimmer of light from the Upperworld.

"It's a good thing it was only a dream. The real sun would burn your eyes out."

"That's what my father tells me."

She followed his gaze. "I wish I could see the Upperworld. I've heard treasures up there are unlike anything we've ever seen. I'd give everything I own for a single trinket."

"I've tried to go up before. I know it's illegal."

"For your own protection. Why would you risk going blind?"

The Blue Divideजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें