Chapter 33

Lainey lifted her grandfather's violin to her chin and placed the bow against the strings. She hadn't practiced in a while but she was confident she could work out the notes to the song Eko played for her. The one he said was her song.

She stood on the shore of Mussel Beach, her bare feet in the water, and played the way she'd seen Eko play. Had he been calling his people then? Had they answered?

Three days had passed since they were captives together on the Aeolus. When it was clear he was not coming back and her grandfather's condition worsened, Mr. Kerring abandoned them in Mr. Wimberley's small motorboat. The coast guard found them sometime later.

Lainey told them what happened, but they hadn't caught the Aeolus yet.

Her grandfather was taken to South Harbor Medical Center where he remained in a coma. The doctors kept telling her to prepare for the worst. She was completely alone now.

The violin music was carried over the water by the wind. She felt like Ronan Gallagher playing for his merrow love. She prayed that Eko was still alive and would somehow hear it. That it would lead him back to her. She didn't care if he was some sort of merrowman. He looked and felt human, and he said he'd be there for her.

The hours dragged on, taking the sunlight with them. The only sign of life she saw in the water were a couple of fish jumping. It was time to go home.

She walked along the road, more alone than ever in her life. Before meeting Eko, she was fine with being alone. She even preferred it sometimes. Why now did it feel like she was missing something? Like her heart had been replaced by an empty hole?

The night air was filled with the smoky smell of cold and she could see her breath. Her feet dragged as she went up the steps to the cottage and then quickened when she heard the phone ringing inside.

She reached it just in time. "Hello?" Could it be the hospital calling about her grandfather?

"Lainey?"

"Yes?"

"Hey, it's Donald Wimberley. I've been trying to get a hold of you for a while now. Jocelyn's been in a car accident."

Lainey's heart plunged.

"Don't worry, she's gonna be fine. She's had surgery on her leg. She should be waking up sometime soon if you wanna come down to the hospital. I know she'd like it if you were there."

"Of course," said Lainey, voice shaking. "I'll be right over."

She hung up the phone and ran back outside. She hopped on her bike and started pedaling. South Harbor Medical Center was becoming like a second home. Why were bad things happening to everyone she cared about?

She found Mr. and Mrs. Wimberley in the waiting room. They were both on their feet, looking anxious.

"What happened?" she asked.

"Not sure," said Mr. Wimberley. "They think she merged into an oncoming vehicle. It must have been in her blind spot, but the other car hasn't been identified."

"How did the surgery go?"

"Good. She'll have to wear a cast for quite a while—she's not gonna like that— and go through some physical therapy, but she should make a full recovery."

Lainey let out her breath. She felt tired and light headed. She sat in one of the waiting room chairs and rubbed her temples. Mr. Wimberley sat beside her and put a hand on her shoulder.