Chapter 35

It was barely dawn when Lainey prepared to leave. She stuffed some supplies into a backpack, grabbed her grandfather's violin, and put on her coat.

She ran all the way to Twin Harbor. She had to find Eko. She needed to know the truth. Was he still alive? Could he come back? Did the Heart of Poseidon really exist?

She untied Mr. Wimberley's small motorboat and pushed off from the dock. A thick fog lay across the water, disorienting her. Hopefully it would burn off as the sun rose higher.

She sailed out a long way and then shut off the motor, letting the boat bob. Then she took out the violin. It was silly to think the music would reach him somehow, but regardless, being on the water and playing his song helped her feel closer to him. Could he really be living under the waves? It must be very cold and dark there. Was he even alive at all, or had the whole thing been some sort of demented hoax to keep her from going to the police?

By midday her fingers were numb from playing so long. There was no sign of Eko. Not that she really expected him to come. She just wished there was some way to contact him.

The waves grew larger. Was there a boat nearby creating the current? She squinted. The fog was still thick as ever, but there was a large shadow distorting the mist. As it came closer its identity became unmistakable. The Aeolus.

Lainey's heart turned to ice. She shouldn't have gone so far out. She started the motor and turned the boat in what she hoped was the direction of the shore.

The little boat zipped across the waves at full speed, showering her with spray. But the Aeolus was faster. She kept looking behind her to monitor its progress, and each time it drew closer and closer.

Lainey looked ahead of her, praying that the gray line in the distance was the shore. Even as she did, she could feel her boat slowing down. The motor sputtered and then stalled. She tried to start it again as the other ship grew even closer. The motor rumbled and the boat spurted forward, but a few minutes later it slowed down again and quit. She didn't have to check the gauge to know it was out of fuel.

She cursed herself for being so stupid. Why hadn't she checked the tank before she left? Should she try to swim for shore? She was a good swimmer but it was doubtful she could make it that far.

The ship's shadow fell over her and she put her hand in the water, debating whether to jump into it. There was a crack as a bullet shot down from the deck, just missing her arm.

"Don't move," said a familiar voice. She looked up and saw Frank grinning down at her. "I'm gonna toss you a rope ladder. You better climb up, or I'll be coming down to get you."

The rope ladder slapped onto her little boat a moment later. Lainey took hold of it with trembling hands. What choice did she have? She began to climb.

Frank's enormous hands took hold of her shoulders as soon as she was on deck and held her securely. She was surprised to see Mr. Leventis and Douglas Ardent on board.

"Hello Lainey," said Mr. Ardent with his typical pearly smile. "You haven't been to work in awhile."

Was he trying to be funny? "I don't know where Eko is, if that's what you want. I've been looking for him too."

Mr. Leventis stepped forward and examined her. She realized that she'd never met him formerly. He was so tall standing right next to her. "I have full confidence we'll find him." His breath smelled like strong ginger. "It's when he's found where you'll come in."

"How can you possibly find him?"

Mr. Leventis looked toward the horizon. "The Heart of Poseidon will take care of that." He took out a syringe filled with a blue fluid and injected it into his arm.

While Frank tied Lainey's hands behind her back, Mr. Leventis went to the prow of the ship and stared into the water. He pulled a metal whistle flute out of his pocket and put it to his lips. The melody that came out was haunting. It reminded her somewhat of the first song she had heard Eko play. She could faintly hear other music that mirrored the melody of the flute, but she couldn't tell what kind of instrument made it. She looked around and then realized that it was coming from Mr. Leventis. He took the flute away from his lips, but the music continued to vibrate from his chest. His eyes were glowing blue.

He broke away from the rail, his music a chorus of tiny voices. His blue gaze fell on Lainey. "It won't be long now. Lower her into the water."