Chapter 22

Eko opened his eyes. A blank ceiling stared back. Fragments of his dream painted themselves across the white expanse. Lainey's face smiling down on him like an angel. Her long hair swallowing her shoulders as a breeze blew it forward. Even his dreams were treacherous.

Light was spilling into his room from the cracks in his curtains. He flung them aside. The sun was very bright. Normally Alec woke him much earlier.

He swung his feet around and placed them on the cold floor and walked into the living room. It was empty. The house was quiet and still. He knocked on Alec's bedroom door and pushed it open a crack. The bed was neatly made.

In the kitchen was a note held in place by a magnet on the fridge. It was written in shaky handwriting:

When I came to wake you, you were smiling in your sleep. I thought you needed to finish that dream. Enjoy your day off.

-A

Eko sat at the table and rubbed his temple. His hand clenched and unclenched. How could he dream of Lainey after what had happened between him and Nerine last night? Nerine's anger smoldered like a tiny flame in the back of his mind. Was fear the real reason he was having doubts? There was certainly a lot to be afraid of. Would he have to endure the same pain he did when he turned human? Could he bear that all over again? Would the Nyxus accept him back?

There seemed to be more to it than that. He cared deeply for Nerine, but at the same time, he couldn't get Lainey out of his mind. Every time he saw her he felt a strange tug, as if he were lost in the cold and she were holding open a door of warmth and light, and beckoning him inside. She made being human bearable.

He stood up and pushed the chair back under the table. He had to see her. He had to know he wasn't being foolish. She may be feeling nothing for him, and if that was the case there was no point in lingering in Porthaven any longer. He got dressed and went down the front steps. A black car was idling in the driveway.

A young man with gingery hair and dark glasses, got out. He went over to Eko and smiled. His teeth gleamed like pearls. "Hello," he said extending his hand. "I'm Douglas Ardent. Are you Eko, by chance?"

Eko took his hand warily. "Yes. Can I help you?"

"I think so." He looked around, the smile never leaving his face. "Is Mr. Richards home?"

"No."

"Lainey? She at school?"

"Yes."

His face turned to look straight at him. "Good." His fist slammed into Eko's stomach knocking him to his knees.

Pain coursed through his middle and he couldn't get a breath. Douglas Ardent's foot crashed into his head, knocking him to the ground. Eko struggled to stay conscious as he heard the car door open. The young man's hands grabbed Eko under the arms and dragged him into the car. The door slammed shut. Eko sat up and searched for the door latch, but he couldn't find it. It was as if it didn't exist on the inside.

The young man got in the driver's seat and removed a syringe about the length on his middle finger from a small black bag. A needle glinted from one end. Eko scrambled against the door, feeling again for a latch, but it was too late. The needle came down and plunged into his shoulder.

His racing heart slowed to a slow thump, and his breathing became gentle and steady. His muscles went limp and he couldn't remember why he'd been struggling. As the car bumped along the uneven road, his chin sank to his chest and everything went black.