Chapter 4

Eko shook his father's shoulder and Terro blinked awake, hollow-eyed, and groggy.

"A summons came."

"Why would the Nyxus summon you?"

Eko frowned. Why would he summon the son of a fish herder? was what his father meant. Perhaps it would have been better not to be born at all than to be doomed to the lowest caste, an outsider to all but the very fish he herded.

"I don't know," said Eko. "I wonder why you weren't called too?"

His father shook his head. "That would have been the only thing more surprising." He turned away and shut his eyes again.

Eko ignored Terro's response and left the cavern without saying goodbye.

The guards at the gate barely gave him a glance as he swam passed. Perhaps they'd been warned about the summons.

He made his way down the channels of the city, the summons getting stronger the closer he got to his destination. Up ahead he could see a large crowd of merrowmen waiting at the city center.

All castes were present, huddling in separate groups. They refused to intermingle despite the mutual call. His head pivoted as he observed the gathering. All those present were male and unwed. Many of them bought fish from him regularly, but he didn't have the courage to approach anyone. Instead he waited off to the side next to a group of young growers who were whispering excitedly.

All at once the summons went quiet.

From Poseidon's temple came the Nyxus. Raven haired and bronze scaled, he was followed closely by Nerine, the female version of her father.

As she approached, her glowing eyes scanned the crowd. Was it his imagination, or did her gaze lock on him?

The Nyxus faced the gathering until everyone was quiet. His mind erupted into theirs like the cry of a killer whale. "To all who have received my summons, let it be known. My daughter Nerine has reached full maturity and my nameday gift to her is the power to choose a husband from amongst you."

Eko's heart throbbed. Of course! Why hadn't Nerine told him the truth? Was she afraid it would hurt him?

As the crowd burst into murmurs of excitement, he eyed the young nobles who seemed all at once self-conscious about their appearance. They polished their scales with their palms, and adjusted the jewelry they wore. Some stared confidently at Nerine, hoping her gaze would catch theirs.

It was illegal to refuse her. Not that anyone would. Whoever married Nerine would be given magic that extended far beyond the single power granted them at birth. And it was the only way to break free of the chains of the caste system.

Eko didn't move as the rest of the crowd swam closer to the temple, eager to catch Nerine's eye. What was the point if Nerine saw him? Despite their friendship she wouldn't be allowed to choose someone like him. Inviting all the castes was merely a gesture of good will. Surely she and her father would have agreed upon someone suitable before the ceremony.

"Nerine has informed me that she has already made her choice," the Nyxus continued. "I will leave it to her to call on him now." He drew back and Nerine came forward.

Eko swallowed back the sadness that formed in his throat. Would their friendship be over once she was wed? Would she ever sneak out of the walls to see him again? He already knew the answer, and grief weighed down his eyelids. This is why she had come to see him. It was to say goodbye.

She was silent for a moment as she faced them, the anticipation tightening to a knot. Then came her voice.

"Ekrios Fiskerd."

Eko's name rang in his mind as Nerine's thoughts entered him. He looked up from the crowd of startled merrowmen and saw her glowing gaze fixed on him.

The world went quiet as everyone turned to face him. Lips were curled, mouths open, eyes wide.

"Come forward Ekrios," called Nerine. Her voice was musical and hypnotic, and the urge to obey overpowered his urge to hide.

The crowd parted and he glided through them, lightheaded, arms trembling. This was a dream. It had to be a dream. What insanity possessed Nerine to pick him?

"Not insanity," she whispered only to him, "gratitude."

He must have projected his thought aloud.

Her face was composed. "I have never forgotten what you did for me."

Images of that frightening scene swam through Eko's mind. He saw himself herding the three seawolves that had attacked Nerine.

"You see," she said, when the memory she sent him cleared away. "I have so much to repay."

She had already repaid it. She had been his friend. He never dreamed she would be more. He had never even allowed his mind to wander in that direction.

She held out her hand and Eko took it, ashamed that his own was trembling. Nerine held it up and faced the crowd. There should have been shouts and cheers of congratulations, instead the stunned silence continued.

Eko looked at the city gates. Here was his opportunity to escape a life of fish herding and all he could feel was shame for the looks the merrowmen were giving him.

The Nyxus approached, rigid as stone. His disapproval was clearer than the water he breathed. But he had allowed his daughter to choose anyone, and he could not go back on his word.

Putting a hand on Eko's shoulder, he looked him in the eyes, his irises glowing violet in the dark water. "Ekrios Fiskerd, on behalf of Atlys I welcome you to my family. I have no doubt you will make a worthy husband for my daughter." Those were the words for all to hear. Beneath them he spoke others, just for Eko. "If you are otherwise, I will see to it that you fall so deep the light will never find you."