Chapter 2

Faye had received a call from Lia a few hours earlier telling her all about how she had done exactly what she had said she was going to do. She had tarped the man's roof, and he hadn't been able to stop her. Faye got the impression that there was more to the story than what she was being told, but she knew she couldn't force Lia to share.

Faye told her about the new development with Chloe's friend, and Lia was supportive of the decision, stating that she didn't know why she didn't rent the garden apartment out more.

It had meant the Faye had spent the entire day cleaning until her hands were cracked and dry, but the place looked halfway decent, or as decent as she could make it. She was sure that the doctor would take one look at it and decline, which would be disappointing but not the end of the world she assured herself.

She ate the rest of her potato soup and bread for dinner, baking a new loaf for the following day. She loved fresh bread and found making it therapeutic. The only problem was that she was the one who got stuck eating it, and she knew if she was serious about losing weight she shouldn't.

She washed the dishes then sat down at the table with the finances, looking around her. She hated the kitchen, it was the worst, it was outdated and old, and if she could only redo one room in the house it would be the kitchen. She kept it spotless, but it was a small kitchen that had been added when they had moved the kitchen from the floor below.

Her phone vibrated and she looked down to see that Chloe was texting her. They had arrived and were waiting for her in the driveway. She stood taking a deep breath, she was nervous, and she didn't know why. Perhaps it was because the man was a doctor.

She opened the door and walked down the brick stairs, walking toward the back of the property that was surrounded by a stone wall. There was a wooden door that kept the rest of the world out, but now she had to let a few of them inside, and the thought gave her a sudden feeling of foreboding.

She peeked around the door and saw Chloe resting against a very expensive car with her long legs bare in her short skirt stretched out before her, and next to her stood a very tall man with his arms crossed. He was tall, well over six-feet and as he turned to look at her, she swallowed back a gasp at his handsome face. She had not expected him to be handsome. She gave them both a courteous smile and invited them in, careful not to look at the tall man too closely because handsome men had always made her shy.

She led the way around to the entrance, sure that he wouldn't be interested in the apartment. He exuded wealth and power, and she didn't doubt that he would rather stay in a five-star hotel instead of her poky little garden apartment.

She stood aside and waited for Chloe and the man to enter and as they passed her she was struck again by how tall he was, she barely came up to his chest. He and Chloe made a striking couple. Chloe was about her age maybe a few years older, and the man had to be in his late thirties or early forties. He was fair headed with a slight greying at the temples and his face was rugged with sharp features. He even had a scar that ran along one cheek. It wasn't deep, but it gave him an air of mystery.

"Faye Brantley, this is Silas DeGraff. Silas this is Faye." Chloe introduced, walking around turning on a few lights as she spoke.

"Dr. DeGraff," Faye greeted.

"Ms. Brantley," he returned.

His voice sounded nice with a hint of an accent and she peeked up at him, but he wasn't looking at her, he was looking around the apartment. Faye couldn't help but wonder what it looked like through his eyes. His very grey eyes she noted.

Chloe's phone rang and she excused herself, stepping outside to answer it, closing the door behind her.

"It's alright if you don't want it. It won't hurt my feelings," Faye assured the man after a few minutes of heavy silence.

He turned to look at her, letting his gaze travel her length, taking in her cracked hands which she quickly hid behind her back. She had the feeling that he missed very few details in life.

"I'm not in the habit of doing anything that I don't want to do Ms. Brantley," he returned softly.

It should have come across as a rebuff, but she found it strangely reassuring. It meant that if he decided to stay it was because he wanted to.

"That must be nice," she said without thinking. Her normally guarded tongue running away from her.

"You do things you do not want to do?" he asked curiously.

"All the time," she said with a self-mocking smile, thinking about the bills that needed paying, the roof that needed fixing, and the job at the hospital.

He didn't say anything, only stared at her until she turned to look at him after his continued silence.

"I need a quiet place to stay, I don't want a cleaning service or anyone to disturb my space. I will be here for at least a month, maybe two. I might decide to stay and do some writing before I go if I have the time. Will this be alright with you?"

"Yes," Faye said softly. He was a man of action, who not only didn't do what he didn't want to do but said exactly what he meant to say and in as few words as possible. "There is a kitchen here." She walked to the back of the living room and opened a door that led to a small galley kitchen, it was very similar to hers. "If you'll throw any towels and bedding that you want to be cleaned outside the door when you want them cleaned, I'll take care of it for you," she offered. She had the feeling he was not used to looking after himself, and she couldn't see him sitting at a laundromat. "But there is a washer and dryer in the closet under the stairs outside if you would prefer."

"Fine," he named a sum in rent that made Faye's eyes go round.

"Oh no, only half of that is necessary," she insisted.

"Are you in the habit if bargaining down Ms. Brantley?" he asked.

Faye was insulted. "No, but I am in the habit of being fair, and no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig it's still a pig."

His eyebrow arched, and she swore she saw his lip twitch. "I'm sorry, I don't understand the point you are trying to make?"

"This is not the Four Seasons, it's barely even the Holiday Inn. It's not worth as much as you're offering."

"I pay a premium for my privacy Ms. Brantley, and this will do nicely," he assured her and that was an end to the conversation. Chole returned and asked if they had made a deal.

"Ms. Brantley?" his eyes met hers, letting her know it was her decision, that he had made his offer.

Faye nodded her head in agreement.

"May I stay here starting tonight?" he asked.

Faye nodded once again and held out the keys for him to take.

He did so, letting his fingers graze her palm as he did. Perhaps it was the dryness of her skin that caused her to feel the electrical shock that traveled up her arm at his touch.

He reached into his pocket and drew out a checkbook, and she watched him write the outrageous sum he had mentioned. "The first month's rent," he said as he handed it over to her.

She took it with a nod and then wished both him and Chloe goodnight. Closing the door to the apartment behind her as she left.

She now had enough to fix the roof, but maybe she would take a page out of Dr. DeGraff's book and not do what she didn't want to do and wait and see what Alyssa decided. There was little point in fixing the roof if they were going to sell, and she would need the money to pay first month's rent on an apartment.

A little part of her felt guilty, but a bigger part of her realized that she needed to start looking out for poor dumpy, frumpy little Faye because no one else was going to do it.