Chapter 23

It had been three weeks since she and Silas had kissed and nothing had changed. She was still going to work every day, and they were still acting as nothing more than passing acquaintances in the hospital. Only now she had the chance to see him in his role of doctor, and she had to admit that he was one of the best that she had ever seen. He was patient and assured, and he had a way of calming the patients with his confidence. She hadn't had the chance to see him in the operating room, but the nurses there were loyal to him after only one month. It seemed that everywhere he went he was popular.

It was Halloween and all the nurses were wearing funny hats or animal ears and tails to try and make the atmosphere fun. Faye was one of the few not participating, and she was taking grief for it.

"Why don't you just put on a pair of cat's ears Faye?" Robin suggested as she waved them in her face.

"No thank you, I'm not one for dressing up," Faye insisted for the twentieth time that day.

"It's just a headband?" Robin rolled her eyes and dropped them on the desk as Silas joined them.

"What about you Dr. DeGraff, why aren't you dressing up, you could put on a sash and call yourself an earl or duke or something," Robin hinted. The rumor that he was some form of nobility was running rampant and she guessed this was Robin's way to try and ferret out the truth.

Chole joined them with a sigh, as she fell into her seat. "This day!"

"It is a rough one, but at least we're not working tonight." Faye said.

"What about you Chloe," Robin asked as she took in Chloe's bunny ears. "Don't you think that Dr. DeGraff and Faye should be dressed up for Halloween?" Robin let her eyes peruse Silas's face and shoulders. "I suggested something noble for Dr. DeGraff, doesn't he strike you as noble?"

Chloe looked at Silas, taking in his appearance with a weary look. "I guess, I never really thought about it." She shrugged before she turned towards the computer.

"Faye, back me up on this one," Robin insisted.

Faye let her eyes look over Dr. DeGraff, something she never did, for fear she would give herself away. "Maybe not an earl or a duke, they're too lofty, perhaps a lord or a baron."

"Are they lower than an earl or a duke?" Robin asked as Mae joined them.

"What are we talking about?" she asked.

That began a debate about the nobility ranking system in Europe and who was above who, and as Robin turned to ask him to clarify, Silas pushed his paperwork across the desk.

"Nurse Brantley, do you have a moment for me to examine Ms. Hawkins in exam room twelve?" he asked, as he stepped back away from the desk and waited for her to join him. Faye kept her face passive as her mind raced, wondering if her little dig had upset him.

He let Faye precede him down the corridor towards the room without saying a word. They arrived at the patient's room and Faye entered with him and helped him as he completed his exam and then took his time telling the patient what the results of the tests she had been given were and the next steps which would include admission into the hospital.

When they finished Faye had intended to stay with the patient for a moment in case she had any concerns or questions, but Silas asked her to accompany him. She had been so wrapped up in the patient that she had forgotten about the little jab she had taken at him

He looked in the exam room next door and finding it empty he stepped into it expecting her to follow, she did, but she left the door open. It wasn't unusual on occasion for a doctor and nurse to find a quiet corner to discuss a patient.