Chapter 22

Faye waited for James, she had learned that Officer Palmer's first name was James, to walk around and open her door for her. This was the part of the date that she hated, the goodbye. It was always awkward, and this time it would be doubly so because, to James's credit, he hadn't brought up the house once. She had enjoyed the date even though it had all but been forced upon her. James was sweet and courteous and had taken her to a nice restaurant, and she had even enjoyed the show. She had found herself relaxing so much that she had allowed him to buy her a glass of wine afterward. Of course, she had only had a few sips.

If she hadn't already lost her heart, she might have felt a little hope because the date had gone so well.

"Thank you for a lovely evening James, I had a really nice time," she said as she crossed the brick sidewalk and approached the front gate of the courtyard. He had picked her up via the front door, but she rarely used it.

"So did I." He smiled down at her. "Maybe we could go out again soon," he suggested. Then he stepped forward and pulled her close, looking down at her with a serious expression, and Faye had to fight to keep from giggling. She didn't evade him as he caught her lips in a quick kiss, all she could think of, as she did her best to reciprocate, was that she didn't feel anything.

He broke away and looked down at her with a pleased smile.

"I'd like to go out again," she agreed, "but it might be a challenge to find a time," this was her chance to let him know how things stood, "my brother and sister want to sell the house in the new year, so I'll have to start packing up soon. It's going to make for some busy weekends." She stuck her key into the gate and turned it, preparing to open it.

"I thought this was your house," he said, looking up at it.

Faye could only smile, knowing how the rest of the conversation was going to play out, she had been through it so many times.

"No, it belongs the three of us and they don't want it. It's a shame, it's been in the family for generations." She tried not to let the thought depress her too much.

"You could buy their shares," James suggested with a smile that wasn't as strong as it had been a moment before.

"Not on a nurse's salary." She shook her head. "Any savings I had was eaten up long ago by the maintenance, and there is so much that needs to be done, a new roof, electrical, plumbing, these old houses are beautiful to look at but a nightmare to keep up." Faye gave him her brightest smile. "You'll call soon?" she asked, knowing he wouldn't and ready for the date to be over.

"Sure," he said as he started backing away from her toward his car.

"I look forward to it." She watched as he waved and got in his car, waiting until he pulled away from the curb before she turned and entered the courtyard.

It had gone the way she had expected it to, but it still made her a bit sad that it had played out as it always did. She was halfway to the stairs when she saw Silas walk out of the shadows, his hands were tucked into his pockets and he was looking at her with a very serious expression. All she could think of as she returned his serious look was that he was so handsome.

Faye watched his gaze as it traveled up her body, and she felt it warm her as it did. She had taken some time with her appearance, she was wearing a red sundress that stopped just before her knees and a little black cardigan with black heels and a black purse. She had pinned her hair up into a loose top knot leaving some strands to hang free around her face.

The silence between them was tense and she was sure he could hear her heartbeat across the space between them.

"You look beautiful Faye," he said softly.