Chapter 27

The dinner they had shared had been fun, and Faye had been more relaxed then she had been in a long time. She had had a glass of wine and even Silas had teased her about drinking too much when it was revealed that Faye had told Chloe and Lia about falling down the stairs.

Silas had offered to walk Faye home and she had let him. They hadn't discussed anything important, it was as if there was a silent agreement that they had covered enough serious topics for one day. They had taken the long way around with Silas holding her hand as they talked about this and that. They had passed Dr. Evers's house and Faye had told him the ghost story associated with it.

When they had reached her house, he had given her a very long goodnight kiss, and Faye felt as if she was being truly wooed for the first time in her life.

Whatever the crisis had caused Chloe and Silas to separate themselves from everyone had been, it was over, and they had been out as a group a few more times, including Ben's book signing, where he and Lia had fallen into each other's arms to the delight of Faye and Chloe.

Faye and Silas were going slow, they were getting to know each other, and Silas had talked a lot about his past, how he had ended up in the medical profession, why he had chosen to travel the world. She had learned a lot about how dedicated and loyal he was, not only to his profession but with his family and friends too. He still needed to explain many things, but Faye wasn't sure she was ready to hear the explanation because things were going so well, and he was being true to his word and letting her set the pace.

She had to admit that there was a certain rush she got from keeping their relationship private, she hadn't told Chloe or Lia yet, and Lia was so blissfully happy that she had stopped trying to figure out what was going on with her and Silas and Chloe and Silas.

He was still the reserved and stoic Dr. DeGraff at the hospital and in public, but he was someone totally different with Faye. With her he was charming, funny, and kind, he was considerate and patient, and willing to answer any questions she had. The truth was that she was enjoying the romance of it all since she had never experienced such a thing before.

However, she wasn't the only one enjoying romance, Lia and Ben had made up and he was home again. They were officially engaged, and they were throwing a giant New Year's Eve party at their newly restored house to celebrate. Faye had taken over the lease for Lia's old apartment so there was no need for her to live in the house anymore, and she had been slowly moving her things, which was part of the reason she had started to clean out the house.

Now, Chloe and Lia had come to help Faye pack up the house. It was a long process of sorting through childhood memories, but it felt cathartic as if she was ready to move on and take the next step whatever that might be.

They had been steadily working through the morning and had made a lot of progress with the living room, some of the items that were pulled out hadn't seen the light of day since she was a young girl, and she had to stop and examine all of them, but Lia and Chloe were patient with her because they understood how hard it was for her to process it at times.

"What about these?" Chloe asked, holding up some photo albums.

Faye walked over to them and opened one, smiling when she saw a photo of her parents. "These go in the keep pile," she said as she took them.

"Faye, whatever happened with you and James Palmer?" Lia asked as she threw some old fabric in the donation pile.

"Nothing," she answered just as there was a knock on the door. Faye froze, remembering who had knocked on her door the last time. She set the album she was holding in her hand down and walked towards the door, looking through the window to find Andrea waving at her.