Chapter 15

Faye was running late, she should have been out the door five minutes previous. She had a feeling it was going to be one of those days. She grabbed her keys and backpack from the kitchen chair and charged down the steps. She hated to be late. She was never late.

As she reached the bottom of the steps, she dropped her keys in the bushes at the base of the stairs and she said a little curse as she bent down on her hands and knees to search for them. She was halfway under the bush, her hands feeling around in the dirt when she heard the apartment door open and she froze.

Silas was back, she didn't know he was back. It had been three long weeks since he had kissed her, three long weeks since she had seen him. Her heart started to beat erratically. What would she say, how should she act?

Then she heard voices. It sounded like Chloe's voice. They were talking softly, almost whispering and Faye couldn't hear what they were saying. Her hands landed on the keys and she jumped up, she didn't want them to think she was spying on them. She walked towards the gate quickly but darted a look over her shoulder at them as she did. Silas was holding Chloe in his arms and when Faye's eyes met his he didn't let go of Chloe or step back. He let his eyes take in Faye's appearance, not calling out to her or stopping her as she unlocked the gate and closed it softly behind her.

Faye had no clue if Chloe had seen her or not, but she didn't think that she had.

She would refuse to think about the situation. She would act as if none if it happened, including the kiss three weeks previous. It had obviously meant nothing and something that had filled her with such joy and hope now filled her with terrible guilt.

Of course, she did think about it all the way to work. Perhaps Chloe's father was ill and Silas was comforting her, maybe it was an innocent embrace, one of a friend. She shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Chloe was due in at eleven o'clock and Faye did her best to keep her hands and mind occupied with work until she arrived. Lia went to lunch first and as she left the ER, head downbent, Faye realized that she had been acting odd all week, perhaps something serious was going on with Ben. She should pull her head out of the clouds and start to be the friend that she had always prided herself on being, and not wrapped up in some imaginary world where stolen kisses mattered.

When Chloe arrived, Faye spent half an hour going over everything that was happening in the department, and when Chloe didn't bring up her early morning visit to Silas, Faye guessed that she hadn't seen her witnessing the embrace. Faye didn't have the nerve to ask about her father for fear that she might say he was fine and the little bit of hope she had tucked away would vanish.

Faye knew it was only a matter of time before Silas showed up and she hoped she could buy herself another hour, so she asked Chloe if she was good and then excused herself for her lunch. She might be able to catch up with Lia for the last half of hers and see what had been troubling her.

As Faye walked to the cafeteria, she heard a massive boom from the thunderstorm that was raging overhead. She hadn't heard it in the ER, but now she took a moment to stop at one of the windows as she passed and watch the downpour. It suited her mood.

Part of her wished the storm had happened earlier that morning, then she would have missed the scene between Silas and Chloe and she would still be in her little dream-filled world. With a heavy sigh, she pushed away from the window and entered the cafeteria. Her eyes immediately landed on Lia and with her was Silas. So much for delaying having to see him.

They looked as if they were having a serious discussion, and since neither one of them noticed her she would buy her lunch and then take it back to the break room. She picked out something small since she didn't have much of an appetite and moved hurriedly to the cashier, but as she was finishing paying Lia looked up, spotted Faye, and waved.