Chapter 11

It was halfway through Faye's shift when a cardiac arrest was brought into the hospital. Dr. Evers was on call, and it only took him a matter of minutes to materialize in the ER. It was sad news that he had to give the man's family an hour later as Faye helped clean the patient up before his family came to see the body. It was one of the worst things that she had to do as an ER nurse.

She was at the nurse's station typing up her report when Dr. Evers joined her. "How are you Faye?' he asked by way of a greeting. They both knew what had just happened and there was no need to discuss it, they had the rest of the day to get through, so it was best not to let the sadness win.

"I'm fine Dr. Evers, how are Mrs. Evers and the children?" Dr. Evers and his lovely wife had three kids and were expecting a fourth. It was as if the man was making up for lost time.

"She's good, she's cleaning like a mad woman today, so I think I'll do a round here and not rush back."

"She must be nesting because of the baby." Faye smiled at the thought. She had heard that pregnant women tended to work like crazy around the house before a baby was born.

"No, she did that with the first two, but not the third. We have the niece of a good friend coming to stay with us. She'll be attending the art school here, and we have agreed to house her." He was talking while he was filling out paperwork.

"I hope there will be some free babysitting service offered for your trouble," Faye suggested offhandedly.

He laughed. "I hadn't thought of that, nice." Faye shook her head at his response; she'd bet money that Mrs. Evers had thought about it.

He looked up as he passed her the paperwork. "Have you seen Dr. DeGraff anywhere today, there was a patient that I wanted to discuss with him?"

"He's not in today; I believe he took a few days off," Faye shared. "Did you want to leave him a message?" Faye could easily add it to his messages through the computer.

"No, it can wait. How is he settling in by the way, does he seem to be fitting in alright?" Dr. Evers was watching her closely, and Faye did her best to keep her face passive even though her heart felt like it was about to beat out of her chest.

"He seems to be; the nurses like him anyway. There hasn't been such excitement since you were a single man." Faye grinned in response to his grin at her joke.

"The torch had to be passed eventually." He grew serious. "But the work, how does he seem to be handling our system, our way of doing things? Have you heard him object or express dissatisfaction in the way things are run?"

Faye stopped typing and turned to look at him. "Why are you asking me, why aren't you asking one of the other doctors or even Chloe?" Faye asked, curious.

"Why Chloe?" Dr. Evers looked confused.

"She knows him best; I think she's the reason he's here." Faye watched the surprised look that crossed his handsome face.

"He's here because I asked him to come here. Yes, he's writing a book, but he is also one of the worlds best authorities in emergency medicine. He's worked in war zones around the world and third world countries setting up emergency clinics. Plus, he is one of the best trauma surgeons I have ever seen. How does he know Chloe?"

Faye's head reeled at the information that he had just given her. She thought he was in Savannah because of Chloe. He had been in war zones?

"I believe he has worked closely with her father in the past." Faye watched him nod as he accepted the news. "Perhaps you should talk to Chloe," Faye suggested once more.

"I trust your instincts when it comes to reading people. Do you think he's finding his feet here?" he asked again, patiently waiting as Faye deliberated her answer.

"He is not a man that shares his thoughts readily. I have not heard him say anything negative about the hospital or the staff, and I think he is the type of man to fit in anywhere he goes. Is he here assessing the hospital?"

Dr. Evers shook his head. "No, I used the excuse of his book to get him down here. I have hopes of his falling in love with the city like so many people do, and when he has been here long enough, I hope to ask him to join the staff. It's probably not news to you that Dr. Jensen is retiring in the new year, and we'll need a new head for the department."

Faye leaned back in her seat, unable to hide her surprise. "But if he is as well known as you say, couldn't he go anywhere he wanted?" Faye asked. Then she remembered what he had said on the rooftop on the Fourth of July. He had asked her to help him fall in love with the city. Was that what he had meant, did he know that the offer was coming, did he want to stay? She felt heart speed up at the thought.

To see him every day indefinitely, could she handle that?

"How close is he with Chloe?" Dr. Evers asked, watching Faye closely, he knew she was good friends with Chloe.

"I'm not sure, neither one talks about the other, they spend a lot of time together though," Faye said without thinking, kicking herself as soon as she said it. "You won't share that information will you, I don't think Dr. DeGraff would appreciate it."

"No, I'll keep to myself, but you've given me hope. Maybe if he finds a girl and falls in love, he will be willing to put down some roots, and where better than Savannah?" He grinned at the thought that he might win in the end. "Keep me posted, and this conversation is just between us, yes?" he asked.

Faye nodded, stunned at his reasoning. Would love be enough to keep Silas at the hospital? He was from another country; his children lived in that country. Would he really give all of that up to settle in Savannah for love?

Of course, there was one thing that Dr. Evers hadn't thought about. If he married a nurse, there was no reason Silas couldn't take her on his trips abroad. There was no reason to settle down unless there were children. The thought was like a punch to the gut.

What if he and Chloe did get married, what if they had children, could she hang around and watch that happen? Her heart screamed no.

"Are you alright?" Lia asked joining her. "You look as if your puppy just died or something."

"We lost that cardiac arrest," Faye said, knowing it was as good a reason as any for her sudden despondency.

"Oh no, I'm sorry Faye. You always take the patients troubles so personally." She squeezed Faye's shoulder. "Maybe you can get out of here a little early today."

"Maybe, we'll see how the day goes," Faye said, turning back towards her computer.

Chloe had the day off, and Faye wondered if she was spending the day with Silas and his children.

An hour later he came into the ER with Dr. Evers. Dr. Evers smiled at her, but Silas only nodded as they passed. Perhaps Dr. Evers decided his question couldn't wait.

She watched their retreating backs as they moved down the corridor. Silas was taller and broader than the other man, but he looked just as official as if he belonged.

"What's Dr. DeGraff doing here? I thought for sure he would be spending the day with Chloe," Lia said as she looked over her shoulder.

Faye shook her head but didn't say anything. What could she say? It was evident that she wasn't the only one who thought that he and Chloe were dating.

"I think I will try to go home early," Faye said almost to herself.

"Good, you deserve it," Lia agreed.

Faye wasn't sure that she deserved it, but she didn't think she would be much use for the rest of the day since her entire body suddenly hurt, including her heart.