Chapter 18

Faye was awakened by the sound of Silas's deep voice coming from the other room, he was speaking in another language, so she didn't understand what was being said. She looked out the window and noted that it was still dark, at least she hoped it was still dark and she hadn't slept away another day.

She realized that she had to go to the bathroom, so she threw her legs over the side of the bed and sat up slowly, waiting to see if she had any dizziness. After a few moments, when all seemed well, she stood and slowly made her way toward the bathroom, thinking that a shower would be heavenly, but she knew she wasn't quite ready for that.

As she stepped out of the bedroom, she saw Silas standing at his desk looking at something on the computer while he held the phone to his ear as he talked, and there was no mistaking the strength behind his words, even if she didn't understand them.

When he looked up and caught sight of her, she could see anger on his face and it scared her a little, and she thought once again, that he would be an intimidating man to cross, even dressed as he was now, in pajama bottoms with a day's worth of stubble on his face. To Faye, he looked sexy as hell, and she wondered what the other nurse in the ER would say if they could see him in his current state.

His face cleared of anger and was quickly replaced by something intense that she didn't recognize as he looked at her standing in the doorway being swallowed by his t-shirt. She gave him a weak smile then turned towards the bathroom taking her time with her steps so that she wouldn't fall. It was amazing how weak her body was, she felt as if she would never be back to her normal energetic self again.

It took her a little longer than normal but when she finished, she took a moment to look at herself in the mirror. She looked pale and haggard which was no great surprise. With a sigh, she turned and opened the door only to find Silas waiting in the bedroom doorway for her.

"Are you hungry?" he asked.

Faye thought about it for a minute and then nodded. "I could eat."

He made her some toast and jam while she made her way to the couch and curled up under the blanket, closing her eyes again. He served it to her with a side of juice and some more medicine and as she munched, he reached up and felt her forehead.

"I think the fever has finally broken at last, but you still need a few more days in bed. I have to go to the hospital for a few hours today, but when I return I'll bring you some soup."

Faye nodded looking at him as he sat at the other end of the sofa watching her eat.

"I can go back upstairs, I'm better now," she suggested.

"No, you'll stay here a few more days that way I can take care of you." He was using the same tone she had heard him use on the phone, it was one that told her he meant to win. "Besides, I think we're locked out," he grinned as if he thought the entire thing was funny. "Unless you have a key hidden somewhere? I looked but was unable to find one."

"I can call my brother, he can open it for us," she said, frowning as she realized she didn't even have her phone and she didn't remember his number because it was programmed into her phone. She would have to wait until she knew he was home and ring the bell until he answered or call a locksmith if he didn't.

"It doesn't matter for a few days, so don't worry about it just yet. I'm sure it will all work out when the time comes," he declared as he took her empty plate and motioned for her to take her pills.

"I'd like a shower," she said as she drank her juice.

He nodded in agreement. "I'm sure you would, but we'll worry about that when I get back, alright? I don't want you to fall with no one here." He walked over to his computer and typed a few things before he shut it. "I am going to take a shower and shave though." He smiled again as if he was enjoying rubbing it in, and Faye couldn't help but stick her tongue out at him in response.