Chapter 14

The sun was just starting to rise when Faye locked the kitchen door behind her. She had no clue if Hayes had managed to make it home the night before or not. If he had, he had been very quiet in his return. Faye started down the stairs and inhaled deeply. She loved early mornings the best, before the world had awakened because there was a quiet and stillness to the air that didn't happen at any other time of day.

"Faye," she heard from behind her as she reached the bottom of the step.

She turned to find Silas standing in the apartment doorway watching her.

"Do you have a moment before you leave for the hospital?" he asked.

Faye nodded and walked slowly towards him, afraid of what he was about to say. He turned and entered the apartment and Faye guessed she was supposed to follow him. She watched as he walked over to the table he had been using as a desk and reached into a leather satchel, pulling out what looked like a checkbook.

"I need to pay you for this month-"

"That's not necessary," Faye said, cutting him off before he could say more. "I couldn't accept it after everything that happened," she insisted.

Silas ignored her and started to write out a check. "What happened wasn't your fault, Faye." He ripped out the check and handed it to Faye, but she refused to take it, crossing her arms in stubborn silence.

"My brother was the one that bought them the drinks," she reminded him.

"Yes, and they are the ones that accepted the drinks, so as far as I'm concerned, they are all equally guilty. Andrea and Aaron knew the law. I made sure they did." He held the check out and Faye caved, reaching for it.

When she looked at the amount, she frowned. It was twice the amount that it should be. She opened her mouth to object but before she could say anything he interrupted.

"I would also like to pay for next month in advance if you will allow me to stay." He placed the cap back on his very expensive looking pen and threw it down on the table.

Faye stared hard at the check, taking a moment to let what he said register. "I thought you said that you were all leaving today?" she asked confused. She still wouldn't look at him for fear he would see the hope that had filled her because he might not be leaving.

"We are, I'm flying back with the twins. I have some family business to deal with and I cannot do it from here. It is a necessary trip that I have to make from time to time." She could feel him looking at her down bent head.

Faye could only guess that it had to do with baron business, and she couldn't help but wonder if he would see his ex-wife while he was there.

"I thought you were angry at me for lying to help get Andrea and Aaron out of trouble," she said softly, still not completely believing that he was staying.

He walked towards her and placed his hands on her arms, waiting for her to look up at him and meet his eyes. When she did, he gave her a gentle smile.

"I was very angry last night," he confirmed as he squeezed her arms and she could feel the strength in his hands. His long fingers kneaded her shoulders in a gesture of comfort. It did not make Faye feel comfortable, it made her tummy dip and roll. "However, I was not mad at you Faye. I appreciate you sticking your neck out for my children. You didn't have to do that, but I'm glad that you did."

Faye gave a tentative smile and his gaze dropped to her lips which she licked in automatic response to his look. "So, is it alright if I stay a little while longer?" he asked, his voice a bit rough.

"No, I mean yes, that's fine," she said, clearing her throat and looking down at the check she held in awkward embarrassment.

"Andrea was right, you did manage to get a date out of it, maybe you'll find true love. Just imagine the story that you will be able to tell your grandchildren about how you met their grandfather."

Faye snorted in an unlady like fashion. "I doubt it," she dismissed the idea. She saw the way the police officer had looked at the house. She knew what he was interested in and it wasn't her.

"Why are you so sure?" he asked curiously. His hands were still massaging her upper arms, and she wanted him to stop but to never stop at the same time. It was the most direct contact that they had ever had.

"When I started at the hospital a rumor started going around that I was an heiress when people found out where I lived. At first, I was asked out a lot, but I didn't know why. It was a hard hit for my ego when I found out the truth. After that, I made sure that my dates knew on the first date that I was not an heiress, delicately of course."

"Of course," he agreed, she looked up at him and he was smiling a smile that made her knees weak, it was almost tender.

"It wouldn't do to talk about money directly, it's in poor taste," she said in a whisper as her gaze strayed to his lips and she licked her own once more.

Think Faye, what were you saying? She reigned in her wandering thoughts clearing her throat once more. "Eventually word got around and the offers stopped."

"And you think that this is what the officer from last night thinks, that you're rich because of the house?" he asked, his voice held a certain urgency as he asked the question but she didn't hear it.

"Yes, after he recognized me last night, he stepped back to look at the house, as if shocked by the idea that I live in it." She watched him as his gaze dropped back to her lips and the atmosphere grew heavy with something she didn't recognize.

"Good," he said as he pulled her to him and his lips landed on hers in a crushing kiss.

Faye's first reaction was to freeze from the shock of it, but after a moment, as she felt his warm lips against hers and his arms pull her close, she leaned into him and did her best to kiss him back, even being so bold as to let her arms snake around his neck. When his hand came up to cup her face her heart stopped at the gentle gesture.

As he deepened the kiss Faye was lost to everything but the feel of his arms and his warmth. She wasn't thinking of anything but the way he tasted and smelled, and she loved everything about it. When the door from the kitchen above them slammed shut Faye jumped, breaking off the kiss.

Her eyes met his but she didn't shy away from his heated gaze. When she stepped back, still without breaking eye contact, he let her. Faye felt herself trembling and she licked her tender lips in an attempt to get one more taste of him. The action caused heat to flare in his eyes as he followed the movement. His intensity was a bit overwhelming, especially since he wasn't trying to disguise or hide his emotions like he normally did.

She noticed he was breathing just as heavily as she was and she almost wished he would reach for her again, but before he could Aaron showed up in the open doorway to the apartment.

"Sorry, I thought you would be alone," he apologized as he looked from one to the other as they stared at each other.

"No, it's fine. I have to leave or I'll be late for work." Faye forced her eyes away from Silas and looked at Aaron. "Have a safe trip," she said as she made herself to step further away from Silas and into the fresh morning air. "I'll see you when you get back, Dr. DeGraff." She still couldn't bring herself to call him Silas in front of people. It was too familiar, and she was afraid that people would see through her when she said it.

He gave her an amused smile. "Tot Ziens, Nurse Brantley, I'll see you in a few weeks if everything goes to plan."

Somehow the words sounded like a promise.