Chapter 1: Lonesome and Agitated

"That's all gentlemen, meeting is adjourned." Ethan said in finality and dismissed his staffs. His secretary approached him when he went out of the conference room, stating that he has a visitor who's been waiting already for more than an hour.

"Who is it?" Ethan asked, brows furrowing.

"He said his name is Lucas Harrison. The Lucas Harrison."

His brow rose at the mention of Lucas' name. What will be his reason to seek him? He smirked when an idea struck him, he might have a clue as to what it is.

He entered his office and there he saw his nemesis during their university days. He cannot remember anything happened that might have triggered their animosity towards each other, it just happened. Their circle of friends are different, they do not have common friends or acquaintances as well. Thinking about it, the reason could have been from the students at the university itself, for they have debated who is better between him and Lucas. There was always a comparison, especially since Lucas started as an architectural student first before shifting to business course. The girls are also making bets here and there as to who was better both inside and outside the bedroom. He cannot refute the fact that he was a ladies' man during those days and Lucas was as well. So it is safe to say that they have many qualities alike and both of them feel a little competitive with each other. But here they are now, tied and linked by Claire, he cannot deny that Lucas can make Claire happy, the sole reason why he can accept him as a future brother-in-law.

He approached Lucas and offered his hand for a shake and motioned for them to sit.

"To what do I owe the mighty Lucas visiting me? Even waiting for more than an hour. I cannot believe that this day and time will come." He said in a jest to irk Lucas and he knows he succeeded based on how his face darkened. He grinned at his expression that made Lucas grinned as well.

"So, really, what are you here for? Are you planning to build a new place and you need my services?" He asked seriously.

"No, I am here for a different reason, a personal one." When he rose his brow in question, Lucas supplied the answer.

"You may already know that I asked Nathan first, your father, for his blessing and he gave it to me without qualms. But as one of her brothers, I think I needed your acceptance to be your sister's husband, I know we are already married and all, but I want to make it right, I want to do it the right way, for she deserves it."

Ethan masked his reaction to Lucas' confession. He already earned their respect, him and his brothers, the day they beat him and he didn't retaliate. He accepted all the beatings Ollie gave him, until to a point where Ollie stopped without anyone telling him to, not because he is already tired but because he saw that Lucas was remorseful.

"Do you think that I will give it to you without questions like our father did?" He saw Lucas squirm on his seat at his question, but it didn't give him the satisfaction he expected to feel at the thought of him becoming uneasy.

"You know what, after you said that, I actually do not care anymore whether you will accept me or not into the family. All I care about is the welfare of my wife and son. You and your brothers can go to hell." Lucas stated and stood up and about to walk out.

At Lucas' irate look, Ethan started laughing which made Lucas more furious, to a point that if looks could kill he is already a bleeding mess inside his office. He slowed his laughing into a chuckle and willed himself to look contrite.

"I am sorry. I couldn't help myself to piss you off." He said still chuckling but Lucas didn't gave any comment.

"But seriously Lucas, you don't have to seek our acceptance and respect, for you already earned it that day our nephew was born. So go and plan whatever you plan to do in order for Claire to accept you, if she will, that is."