Chapter 26: Settled and Surprised

The days passed and the twins already settled being in a new enviroment, her as well, though she is a little reluctant to admit it. Her and Ethan also established a routine in terms of work, taking care of the kids and even doing the chores. If Ethan will go somewhere due to work - like right now - for several days, he will inform her and will let her know. It feels as if they are one big happy family - as what the twins always say every night before going to sleep. Yes, she feels that way too, but she doesn't want to get too much involve with their father, though she doesn't want to feel hopeful, her traitor heart feels otherwise.

Her work wasn't interrupted as well since they lived with him. He even shared his home office to her, she has her own desk where she can draw her latest collection of dresses and cabinet to keep her files, for those things, she was thankful at him.

The twins even spend their time with them while they are working, so the office litters not just her sketches and Ethan's drawings but the kids' as well. Ethan would hang them in his corkboard by the wall after Nate and Ally show him their work where he will indulge them when they explain to him what their drawing is all about. Eventhough it eats up more of his time - him allowing them to do it, she can say that he likes it based on the smile which is permanently etched on his face nowadays.

Her musing ended when Ally caled her name.

"Mama..."

"Yes sweetie, what is it?" She asked while turning towards her daughter who was currently on the floor with her brother, both are sketching something.

"Do you know when is papa's birthday?"

Her eyebrows creased with her daughter's question, even Nate looked up from his sketch pad and stared at her, eyes questioning as well. Now that she thinks about it, she doesn't know, or if she does, she already forgotten it.

Did it even came up during those times they were together? She mentally screamed when the answer is a big NO. Yes, they have been together and even connected physically - the evidence of that are both staring at her with hope in their cerulean blue eyes, but it is only for a short time, too short for it to come up. She may have thought it is not that important at that time, or was it? She mentally groaned at her thoughts and looked at her children. She is debating what to tell them without them knowing that she didn't know their father's birthday. She is still thinking of a subtle way to tell them the truth when Nate suddenly spoke.

"You don't know papa's birthday mama?" Though it was spoken as a question it came up as a statement, a fact - at least that how she felt on her end - that she cringed. Taking a deep breath she answered their question(s).

"Ahmm...I don't know your father's birthday."

"You don't?" Ally asked for confirmation that she answered with a hesitant nod.

"Why?" Ally followed up.

"Why what?" She asked a bit defensively.

"Why you didn't know?" Her daughter asked her again with Nate staring at her intently.

"Well, because we didn't get on that part when we were together. We didn't get to celebrate it, so I don't know, I have no idea." She defended.

At her answer Ally puckered her lips and turned to her brother who also turned to his sister. They stared at each other, communicating with their eyes. Her eyes narrowed at the sight and prepared herself for the onslaught of ideas coming from them. Half a minute later, they broke the eye contact and both turned to her making her raise her brow.

"Alright, spill! Tell me what thoughts you have about it."

At her statement, the twins both look at her intently that she again groan inwardly. Taking a deep breath, she looked at them seriously, it was Nate who spoke.