Hide and Seek

A delicate rainfall soon overtook the dreary overcast as you trekked along the unknown land in the search for the hideout. Using a kunai, you chiseled another line into a spare shuriken, marking two months since the start of your journey. Through the rain and mud, you found your spirit and confidence in finding Rin starting to dwindle. Obito never lost hope, of course. His faith in his friends was truly admirable. It was a difficult attitude to match.

The steps you took began to slow in pace, they became less urgent, less hopeful as time went on. It wasn't that there was less desire to find Rin, but chances of locating her diminished once you realized just how much ground you two had already explored, and how much left you had yet to cover. Still, the both of you refused to give up.

As the gentle touch of the droplets pattered along your face, your mind began to wander to Madara and Zetsu, and a stark clarity began to set in. Once Madara was found, the next concern was how the two of you were expected to defeat him.

You recalled from the show that Madara was prolonging his life with the Demonic Statue, the effigy that absorbed and held the Tailed Beasts that the Akatsuki captured in the original show. You also remembered that Madara only let himself pass away once his legacy was planted into Obito. He wouldn't go without a fight.

At this point it wasn't Madara who scared you, rather, it was Zetsu. Zetsu's strength was not in combat, but that didn't stop the fact that he still eats people. That notion alone was enough to speed up your heartrate. 

What if Zetsu surprises us while we are distracted, and he takes a chunk out of Obito, or even engulfs him whole to take him to Madara?

No. No, you can't let that happen, (y/n).

But what if it does?

Don't think about it like that. Your nerves will get the best of you, and then we really will be in trouble.

You inhaled deeply, then breathed out all at once, being extra careful to hide the sound from Obito.

You're not strong enough.

Stop thinking of yourself that way. You need to try.

The sound of your heart hastening overtook the increasingly heavy patters of rain as it began to pound within your head.

You're going to get them killed.

Enough.

Obito and Rin will die because of you!

STOP –!

"(y/n)?" Obito's concerned voice snapped you out of your thoughts. Your erratic heartrate threw your breathing into a heavy frenzy, unknowingly attracting Obito's attention.

You whipped your head to his direction as your eyes attempted to absorb every feature of Obito's worried expression as if it was the last time you would see his face.

"Huh? S-sorry. I was just... trying to think of ways to defeat the enemy once we find them."

Satisfied with your response, Obito huffed before exclaiming, "I'm just planning on finding Rin and taking out anyone in my way. I don't care who they are, they won't beat us!"

You chuckled unfittingly at his ignorance at just whom you two were going up against. "Heh, here I was thinking you were just gonna take her and run. When the time comes, we'll show them what earth and fire is capable of."

The two of you shared an understanding glance; yours looking a bit more strained and morbid. Obito then flashed you his charming signature smile.

"Yeah, you get the idea, (y/n)!"