The Meaning of Peace

A/N: As of 5/8/2022, I made minor adjustments to the chapter. I modified some dialogue amongst the villagers to better fit with the overall tone of the chapter. Also, I originally had our child's name referred to as (Name) throughout the chapter, but helpful feedback from my wonderful readers expressed that this would take them out of the story as (Name) was getting confused for (y/n). To rectify this, I removed most instances of (Name) and used more generalized language (i.e. our child, baby, etc.). I hope you like the new changes!

~~~

~~~

"Everyone... we welcome you to take part in recognizing the achievements and skills of this shinobi, as acknowledged by the village's predecessors. We hereby appoint the position of the shadow of the village, its sole protector, the title of Fifth Hokage, to Obito Uchiha of the Uchiha Clan."

As you cradled your now 4-month-old child, you watched from afar in a blend of gratification and pride as Obito slid on the traditional headpiece of past Hokages. After the countless years of worrying, of debilitating fear and anxiety over Obito's wellbeing and his status as a ninja, you finally completed your ultimate goal of guiding Obito to the position he's always deserved – Hokage of the Hidden Leaf Village.

Obito took great pride in being the successor of the previous Hokage, Minato, and as tribute wore a dark blue robe with red flames at the edges, similar to Minato's, but blending it with the red, blue and white style of his clan. Family members or people from the Obito's personal life were not allowed on stage during his induction, but you didn't mind. Joy was the only emotion you allowed yourself to express in that instant. Kakashi was up there, too, as the new ambassador and assistant to Obito. You knew that he was just as proud of Obito as you were.

Obito's eyes were red from his Sharingan, activated through sheer emotion of the occasion. His eyes scrutinized the sizable crowd before detecting and situating on you. You thanked the heavens for being blessed with such an expressive husband. He tried so hard to keep a serious and professional demeanor for the crowd, but upon spotting you he couldn't help but alleviate his expression into that of love. Of joy. Of gratitude for his family. He couldn't have done it without you, without your imprint on this world. There were a thousand words to describe his face, and it struck you then that he really wouldn't be here without you.

The crowd cheered and roared for the very first Uchiha Hokage, and the noise prompted a squirming sensation to develop in your arms as you looked down and observed with concern at your distressed child.

"Oh, it's too loud out here, huh," you cooed softly. "Well, I have a surprise for you. Come on, let's go on a little adventure." You then smiled, turning to leave the crowd, but not before giving Obito one final glance, one that told him, 'We love you. We are so proud of you.'

~~~

"Wow... can you believe it?" you said, peering down at your child, the energy evident in your tone. "Your dad's the Hokage of the whole darn village now! I could only think of maybe... one, two, three... four other people with as much power as he has right now! But don't worry, he's still your same goofy father on the inside. You should've seen the way he acted when we were kids... I wonder... if you'll end up anything like him. Fiery... determined..."

There was the contented sound of children laughing and playing in the fields nearby as you strolled peacefully with your child cradled in your arms.

"So... I know that he's... not going to be around much anymore... not while he's in charge of the village. But I'll make sure we go bug him every day when we bring him lunch. Would you like that?" you asked while poking your child's nose playfully, to which their onyx eyes scrunched up while grasping at the finger you had just poked their nose with.