Darkness

"The Uchiha is a clan destined for revenge. Take revenge on the world that mutilated your futile belief of hope and love. Carry on my will and finally bring peace to this world – Obito Uchiha!"

Madara's words resonated through the air as Obito battled with the inner turmoil set off by the older Uchiha standing upright before him. Both of his friends are gone. The only people to ever accept Obito as a shinobi and as a person, the only ones to ever bless him with the exquisite gift of warmth and affection, are no longer with him.

Obito struggled to grip the shoulders of his best friend lying on top of him, your blood seeping into his clothes and staining his skin; his trembling hands almost matched the uncontrollable quivering of his short breaths. The tears streaming from his eyes burned him, as they never have before. They singed his eyes with an unfamiliar pain; sparks of intense heat rippled across his Sharingan as he struggled to recover from the shock of what Madara had done.

Obito couldn't handle it. He couldn't understand why you would sacrifice everything for him. As if on instinct, he slowly lifted you up by your shoulders and examined your face, which was now pale and expressionless.

"(y-y-y/n)..."

Obito's anguish over seeing your face manifested into an outburst of raw emotion. Just one look was enough for those searing sparks in his eyes to erupt into one powerful wave of radiating heat. As Madara looked on, he watched the black tomoe in Obito's Sharingan morph together to form a shape akin to shuriken. Obito then shut his eyes harshly and groaned from the overwhelming sensations transpiring in his eyes.

"The Mangekyou Sharingan," Madara stated calmly. "The exceptionally rare and superior visual capabilities you now possess will be the foundation, the key to our new world. Use this power to initiate The Eye of the Moon Plan, and I will see that your desire will come to fruition once I am revived. You will be reunited with your cherished ones in your own reality forged by my Infinite Tsukuyomi."

Wracked with grief and seduced by Madara's promise, ominous sounds began forming in Obito's head; it was telling him to do something – commanding him to do something.

This, this... this urge.

It was telling him to kill. It was demanding him to wreak havoc on this hell of a world, to abandon this reality and seek a perfect one. It was telling Obito to give in – to forsake this world and torture it as it has tortured him - and to kill anything that steps in his way.

Zetsu had been carefully observing the entire exchange from afar; a demented smile permeated his features at seeing his plan finally initiate. His smile soon faded as he sensed a cluster of chakra within close proximity of the hideout – ones that were quickly approaching. From the feel of it, the chakra belonged to Hidden Leaf Ninja, likely sent as reinforcements on the search for Rin. Zetsu turned to Madara with a nervous expression on his face as he gathered the courage to interject on him and Obito.

"Um, Lord Madara – "

"Dispose of them."

Not daring to respond, Zetsu then phased out of sight.

Obito delicately shifted your body off his as he slowly and silently stood up, the gentle way he treated your body directly contradicted the wrathful emotions teeming inside of him, clawing its way to the surface. Inside, he was seething. His rage building up inside threatened to unleash at any moment. He tightened his grip with such intensity that his nails drew blood from his palm; the malevolent voice persisted in urging him to despair.

...But something else was calling to him. It was soft and gentle. A voice that sounded familiar. It was... soothing.

"Obito"