Fire and Earth

The footsteps you took subconsciously got slower once the ice cream shop was in your line of sight. Apprehension set in. Your breathing sped up. Your heartbeat quickened. Your body caught up with your mind and became keenly aware of what you were about to do.

As you continued to get closer, you tried to observe the people inside through the shop's window from a distance, wondering if Obito managed to beat you here, even though you knew Hell would freeze over before he would be anywhere before you. You were so preoccupied with the people inside of the shop that you failed to notice the person standing upright outside the shop's doors, with their back facing you.

You first noticed the clothes that were adorning them – a purple, long sleeve gown, spanning to their shins where a pair of black pants covered their legs. A simple belt partnered with a traditional white obi acted as a sash around their waist. There was a small, uneven bulge in their waist, as if they had something stuffed within the inside of their cloak, secured in place by their sash from the inside.

Directing your attention around their head, you noticed the gown was high collared, an extremely common style of the Uchiha Clan. It only took a fraction of a second for the white and red fan emblem between their shoulder blades to confirm your suspicions – this individual was an Uchiha. Your heart skipped a beat as your mind raced with a million thoughts all within a single moment.

An Uchiha? Is this one friendly? The last time I encountered an adult Uchiha, they kidnapped and almost murdered me – until Obito showed up just in time.

You gasped at the sudden remembrance of your best friend, simultaneously noticing the short, spiky hair covering the back of the Uchiha's head.

No way. Is that...?

Your sharp intake of breath seized the Uchiha's attention, their towering form tensing up at your feminine sound, their back still facing you.

"...Obito...?"

Upon your inquiry, the tall figure turned to face you. The surroundings around you slowed to a halt as your focus rested entirely on the Uchiha's face – your best friend's face.

"Hey," Obito tried muttering casually, but the shakiness in his voice alerted you of his true sentiments.

You couldn't believe it. Obito managed to get here before you, and he looked so... different. He'd left his goggles and headband behind. The purple cloak he was wearing looked identical to the one he wore as an adult in the original show, but that was so long ago. You were shocked to see him wearing it now. It made him appear older. Mature. Like an Uchiha.

Obito watched your eyes as they trailed along his attire, prompting a blush to blossom on his cheeks. "If you're wondering about the clothes, Minato-sensei said I should look presentable for this."

Look presentable to get ice cream?

No. You knew what he meant.

"Obito... you look..."

"I know, it's a really old style from my clan," Obito remarked with uneasiness. He regretted dressing differently to meet with you. Perhaps traditional was a tad much.

"Yeah... it looks great on you!"

Obito perked up at your words. "Huh?"

"You didn't say that you were hiding this from me! Are you going to wear it more often?"

Obito watched you with a mix of surprise and intrigue before his eyes eased into a heartfelt content.

"You know what? I think I will."

~~~

The two of you traveled around the village, ice cream in hand – using the treat in front of you as a distraction to avoid bringing up the topic that you knew was heavy on both of your minds. Obito had gotten the special new flavor he'd been itching to try, but all his mind focused on was the tension between the two of you. If he were asked, he wouldn't be able to recall the taste of it that night.