Anticipation

The evening was quiet as you stepped out of your apartment; the sound of the inner mechanisms of the door locking temporarily filled the air before you descended the steps and made your way to your favorite ice cream shop. You stopped by your house from the training grounds to shower and change out of your ninja outfit in favor of something more casual. Only a few hours before, you were a Chunin, a rank that you struggled for years to achieve. It felt incredibly surreal that you were one level above that now. Not only that, but you accomplished such an impressive feat alongside your best friend.

You were on your way to the shop specifically to meet up with him to celebrate your mutual accomplishment of becoming Jonin together. This was something you've been looking forward to all day, but the final test of becoming a Jonin changed everything. You began to feel rather apprehensive the closer your feet took you to Obito. Normally, you would have been ecstatic over your newly acquired prestigious title – but only one thought occupied your mind. 

"(y/n),"

"I'm pushing so hard because I love you!"

Your heart raced each time Obito's passionate words played in your mind, over and over, never ending. Obito of all people finally said it. You had plans to reveal the genuine love for your best friend directly sometime after the exam was over – or you would have at least tried. You were shocked that he found the courage to do it himself, but he would always find unique ways to surprise you.

The scorching emotions that engulfed both of you were at their peak during your brawl with him, to the point where Obito couldn't suppress it any longer, and if you were honest, neither could you. Still, your mind combated with your heart, desperate to keep it from even the slightest chance of fracturing.

Your inner turmoil persisted as you strolled by the training grounds, the side dominated by new Genin. You paused for a moment to watch a young squad jump in joy and embrace each other after completing their practice assignment. Their hearty enthusiasm coupled with your intent to celebrate with Obito elicited distant memories originating from the very field they stood in.

~~~

"Great job, Obito! You finally got it!" Rin praised while clasping her hands together in commendation. You, Rin, and Obito were practicing a stealth mission assigned by Minato at the training grounds when you were only 13 years old. The goal was to work together to retrieve a fake artifact, and Obito surprisingly was the one to lead the way – and to succeed. He was overjoyed, likely because his rival Kakashi was exempt from this task due to his advanced level of training – such a task would have been a 'waste of his time,' as he would say. With him out of the way, Obito finally had a chance to shine, and his excitement only intensified once he learned that you would be filling in for this task as the third placeholder for Kakashi.

"I put together some chocolate bites for you! You should have them to celebrate!" Rin said with excitement as she pulled out a handmade bag wrapped in thin string. The bite-sized squares were visible through the clear plastic bag decorated in transparent stickers as she handed it to Obito. 

"Aw, thanks, Rin! These look amazing!"

Rin smiled warmly at the compliment, warranting a spiteful glare from you that went unnoticed by her. "Just don't eat them all at once, okay?"

"No way, you should totally eat them all right now, Obito!" you interjected, catching the young Uchiha's attention. 

"Only if you help me out with these, (y/n)!"

Your posture lit up, surprised that Obito would offer to share his gift with you, and you were about to respond, until you found something being handed to you as well.