Tobi

A/N: As of 5/5/2022, I also made significant changes to this chapter. I added a lot more action as well as major dialogue changes. Just like the last chapter, I also removed extra unneeded details to better capture the spirit of Naruto. I also added a surprise guest by the end of this chapter :} Please let me know what you think!

Also, this chapter's picture was drawn by k-axani on Tumblr! ^^

~~~

"...you have something extraordinary inside of you."

Seven words. Never before had seven words intruded upon you with such indestructible force behind their meaning. No. He couldn't possibly be referring to –

"S-something inside me...? You already said that I'm not much use to you, what's so special about my chakra inside me?"

"It is not your chakra I am interested in, dear girl," Orochimaru said with a sly grin. "Kabuto lured you here because of the presence of the Uchiha flowing within your chakra network. That is what has drawn in my fascination."

You exhaled discreetly in a mix of relief and morbid amusement over the legendary Sannin's humiliating misunderstanding. Obito's chakra was strong - so potent that after being within his presence your body was often soaked, pungent with copious amounts of it as it ebbed and flowed with your own. That was what Orochimaru must have been sensing inside of you.

"Orochimaru... I can't believe I have to tell you this, but you're wr –"

"Hush now. You really should not speak. Conserve your energy; it would appear that your body is severely malnourished, that is not a good thing to be when in the midst of incubation."

The young Tobi looked up at you while he clasped a frail yet firm hand around yours. "Incubation...?! What's that mean?"

"I..." You couldn't explain it out loud. The fact of the matter terrified you, so you lied, "I'm not sure what it means, Tobi..."

Finally, Orochimaru's repulsively delightful expression morphed into a perplexed and slightly annoyed one. "I'd hope the maternal side of my future vessel would be at least somewhat bright, but no matter. The unsurpassed strength of the paternal Uchiha portion is what is truly of importance."

It struck you then, like a slap of imposing thunder. You didn't want to admit it, but you knew. All this talk of a future vessel, incubation and maternal/paternal traits, suffering from ripples of erratic and unexplained nausea, and barely possessing enough energy to keep yourself from collapsing... Orochimaru was insinuating what you had suspected for weeks now, but have forcefully repressed out of fear and denial. But you couldn't hide it any longer.

You were going to be a mother.

The chakra inside you wasn't comprised of just yours and Obito's anymore – deep inside were hints of a tiny and frail individual, one whose chakra contained a blend of both yours and Obito's characteristics.

"Oh my god." The ghastly reality finally struck you, hard. Not only were you in imminent danger within the presence of the notorious Orochimaru, you now had the crushing responsibility of two other lives to protect from him.

"Th-that's why Kabuto let me follow him here? You want my b... my b-baby...?" Sheer astonishment from outwardly acknowledging your condition made it difficult to spit the words out. When you finally did, your own voice felt foreign to you. It wasn't necessary anyway. You knew all about Orochimaru's plan: his insatiable desire for a strong Uchiha body to transfer into and call his own. 

"No... you want them... for their body... for their eyes...!"

"Now I suppose I am guilty of such an ill-mannered accusation. This truly was unexpected, but a pleasant change in schedule, nonetheless. You appear to be about 28 years old, does that sound correct? What an ideal age for such a momentous occasion. There is no need to worry, I will keep you primed and properly fed until you are to give birth, then you won't have to worry about the prospect of unexpected parenthood any longer. We both get what we want, you see."