Chapter 27 - White Boy

Christian

She's supposed to be awake by now. It's been two and a half weeks and there haven't been any changes. Being so focused on A meant I didn't have the energy or time to deal with Esther; who had been coming back to the hospital everyday with outcries to see her daughter. So, to put an end to all her constant nagging and threats, I allowed her to visit under the circumstances that she doesn't bring that guy back with her and she stayed out of everybody's way. If I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Alesha wouldn't care, this woman would already be 6 feet under.

Even after fighting so hard to get these visits, Esther would only show up for 10 minutes every morning to check if Alesha had woken up, then leave immediately after seeing there was no change

Today was different. Today she stayed. Sitting slumped in the chair at Alesha's bed side opposite me, she had a slight manic expression in her eyes. I held A's hand a little tighter not trusting how close to us she was.

"You know what white boy? You not even that bad. You the one that got her this room right? You the one that got her pregnant too? Have to be, otherwise you doing a little too much for some pussy." I stared at her unbothered by her bullshit as she let out a cackle and continued. "Judging by that gun you held to my head and keep on your hip, you probably the reason she ain't pregnant now."

I clenched my free hand into a fist at my side and tried to keep calm as my knee started bouncing erratically which only happened when my anger was getting the best of me. My heart pounded against my chest forcing me to take deep breaths.

"I got a little bit of advice for you white boy: leave this one alone. I told her a long time ago that families weren't for us, she should've listened. That thing is better off where it is now than being raised by her."

The words stilled me. My heart stopped its hectic rhythm and fell to the pit of my stomach. My hold loosened on Alesha's hand but her palm stayed fixed in mine, my glare piercing Esther's mint green eyes. She sat up in her chair, nervousness clouding her features, knowing she went too far.

"I get it. You loved your husband til the day he died and then destroyed your daughter because there was no one else to blame. You broke her down, telling her all this bullshit about not being good enough for anyone, just so you wouldn't feel alone in the fact that no one wanted to be around you. But she did, at least she did back then. Isn't that crazy? A 12 year old needing the only parent they have left. We've talked about you ..and him: the man you brought here." The look in her eyes got more fearful as I kept going. "I know about everything you've done; both of you. I know the real reason she tried to take her life, and it wasn't because of that necklace, even though that's the explanation she gave Dani. Do you know why, at 15, your daughter thought she was better off dead?" My words came out harsh and bitter as I spoke on.

"Whatever she said was a lie. She was always dramatic in how she'd tell her stories."