Chapter 32: The Meeting - Ice

The Surface

What's happening? Why is the Fire Lord...? What the matter? What's the problem? Questions raced around Jared's head, becoming like a whirlpool.

The Fire Lord was bent over, his hand clutching his side. Agony was embedded into his face and the pain echoed throughout his body, coursed through his veins, poured out of him. His muscles clenched, straining against the inevitable display of affliction. His jaw closed hurriedly; his teeth gritted as a small sound escaped him.

His body was almost doubled and the distance between him and Eliza too, had almost doubled.

Why had this reaction come from the Fire Lord? I mean, yes, my appearance was a surprise, but I didn't think it would cause this much of an effect. And why is he in pain?

Jared's mind raced as he tried to come up with an answer to the question. He had seen a spark come from the Fire Lord's direction before... Could that have something to do with it? Never before had he seen the Fire Lord use his ability. He had just assumed that his ability was something incredibly powerful that couldn't be used at close range. But this? This was minuscule. A spark? Was that all he could muster? Maybe the reason the Fire Lord had never used his ability, was that he barely had one. But that didn't seem right.

He knew that Fire basically bred their royal children to have immense power, so a child like the Fire Lord would seem almost impossible in a situation like this. Maybe-

The Fire Lord straightened up, quickly concealing his pain, and started speaking. "So, Jared. This is unexpected." He paused, cocking his head slightly. "From what I've been told, Eliza and I had agreed to meet here today... alone. So why, may I ask, are you here?"

Jared stepped closer to the Fire Lord, his fists unclenching so as to give the image of a calm and stable figure. "I came to speak to you. We need to discuss the little Surface problem I'm sure you've been made aware of."

The Fire Lord's brow creased. "You're talking about the interaction between some of the Fire and Ice nation collectors, correct?"

Jared bit his lip, hesitantly. "Yes..." Oh come on! Why does every attempt I make at sounding cool always backfire on me!?

The two stood in silence. The air around them stilled and all movement stopped. Only breathing could be heard, but even that was quiet and barely discerned.

Finally, Larcens stepped forward. He bowed to the Fire Lord, "Fire Lord, please allow Jared to speak to you. We wish to discuss the possibility of peace from this event, something we know you would wish as well." He raised his head and stood straight. "However, I do think it imperative to warn you, if you try to attack Jared or use any of your abilities, we will defend him by any means necessary, even if war is risked."

All of Ice stood in stunned silence. The object of the sudden absence of sound, was Larcens of course. What...? How...? Did Larcens just say that?

The Fire Lord smirked. "Don't worry about any cheating coming from my end. I wasn't the one who broke the terms of agreement after-all."

Jared turned to his party, speaking to them in hushed tones. "Eliza, I want you to go back to the Ice entrance, the rest of you stay here but give us some room. I don't want the Fire Lord to feel threatened."

A voice whispered directly behind Jared. "You're wasting my time."

Jared jolted as a hand was placed on his shoulder. The soft voice began again, "I want Eliza to stay. The rest of you, go back to wherever you were hiding and stay there."