16

For the whole day Colt has been calling me over and over again. No matter how much I mute him, he still calls, I don't understand. I'm just trying to finish my government assignment, and he just keeps distracting me, as per usual. Without looking at the screen, I toss the phone away from me on to my bed. I turn back to my project assignment, but I hear vibrations again. I can't take it anymore.

"Stop calling me!" I scream through the speaker, and hung up. Probably ever so slightly immature, but he did this to himself.

Thirty minutes into my studies, my phone did not ring once. That must have been the trick. I smile at myself, feeling so accomplished and not even in the slightest bit remorse. At least, until I hear my mother call for me.

"Autumn!" my moms cheery voice echoes through the house. I know that voice anywhere- it's her cheerleader voice.

"Yea?"

"Your friend is here!" 

I wonder which friend. I'm halfway down the stairs, but I stop halfway. My gut is telling me a certain someone could be at the door, and if he is, I will end it all. Another part of me knew there is no way he would put in the effort to come all the way to my front door. I take a deep breathe and go down the last few steps. I turn and see the god damn devil himself.

"Bye," I turn away to run back upstairs.

"Oh no you don't," my mom grabs my arm and pulls me the front entrance to face Colt. 

Of course my mother would side with Colt. She is probably close to having a stroke at the fact that this decent looking boy is back on our front steps asking for me. Little does she know he is such an asshole. 

"Mom," I mutter through my teeth, " I don't want to."

"Autumn," Colt sighs, "Can we please just talk. Just hear me out, please."

"Autumn,  just hear him out. How hard is that?"  my mother is taunting me on the other end.

"It won't take a second," Colt begs.

"He's a good boy, give him a chance," my mother pushes.

"You have every right to be mad at me."

"No, she really doesn't. Autumn, here, is just so stubborn."

I can't take it. My head just turns back and forth between my mother and Colt: the two people I really can not stand to see at the moment. Each are pushing me back and forth. Colt begging for forgiveness and my mother, now finding her new obsession: trying to make me date. And it's because of the stress and panic, I scream.

"Autumn!" my mother gasps, "How old are you? Five?"

"Mrs. West-" Colt starts.

"Please, call me Ashleigh. I'm not that old," my mom smiles at the god damn devil.

"Mom!" I'm furious at this point. She doesn't even know him and is siding with him. I'm her daughter, the second I walked away she should have shut the door in his face. "Colt doesn't deserve my forgiveness."

"Autumn Caroline West! Have I raised you this way!" 

"Well, to be quiet frank mom, you barely raised me at all," and as disrespectful that may have been, I made those my last words and turned around to storm back to my room.

"She's right Mrs. West, I messed up pretty bad, you really shouldn't be too fond of me you know," I hear Colt tell my mom before I hear the door shut.

I look at my government textbook and slam it close. So much for trying to do my homework ahead of time. Like a child, I slip into my PJs and hide under my sheets, pulling my covers over my head. A few minutes later, I hear my door creak open and soft footsteps trail close to me. I feel someone sit beside me, and I just knew it's my mother.

"Autumn," I hear her whisper, "Can we please talk?"

I pull my covers back and shift my body up to listen to her. I don't argue and prepare myself for another one of her scoldings on needing to "open myself more" and "try new experiences." I've mastered the art of pretending to listen and letting my thoughts overpower her voice.

"I'm sorry."

My preparations stop dead in its track. I've never prepared for this. Hell, I've never even had an apology from her before. This is a first.

"I was not being a good girl friend or a good mother. I shouldn't have pushed you about that boy- girls come first," she starts sniffling a little.

"Mom, it's ok don't worry about it. In your defense, I didn't really tell you what was going on between us. Not that there will be an 'us' anymore anyway," I try to calm her down before the waterworks start.

"No, it's not just that. You're right about what you said earlier," she wipes a tear. 

I hug her tightly and try to convince her I was just angry and didn't mean it. Partially, I was really angry, but on the other hand, it is partially true. I feel like my whole life, I have just been raised to be someone who she envisions in her head, not someone I am. I felt like she did not like me for me.

"Autumn, you're so beautiful and you're so incredibly smart. I never took all those smart classes you're taking now when I was in high school. I just had you so young, and I love you with all my heart, but ever since you were born, I was just scared on how to be a mother, and I still am. You are so unlike me, and that's not a bad thing. I just don't know what to do with you," she wipes another tear.

I laugh a little to give her comfort, and she smiles a bit at that. 

"I guess I've been a little pushy because I want you to leave with some memories. To be honest, I peaked in high school, so I don't really know what to do and what advice to give. I never went to college, hell I barely graduated high school. And you're going to go to an amazing school and get your degree. I don't want you to peak in high school like I did."

My heart stung. I never thought I'd ever hear my mom not only admit she was possibly wrong, but really open up about herself. Ever since I knew what high school was, I hear non stop from her how amazing those four years were for. I never knew she had a different side to the story where those were the last years of her youth before she had to get married and had me.

"Mom, you're a great mother. You did not peak in high school. You have me and dad, and every day you're here for us. Yea, sometimes you involve yourself too much and it can be a little suffocating, but you're there at least, and not a lot of moms are." I hug her. "Yea, we're totally different. But without you, I probably wouldn't have some of the high school memories I have now. There's more to life than just books."

"Honey, not just that. I just want the world to see your sparkling personality. I just always wanted you to put yourself out there, that's all. You're kind hearted and have so much humor, I want the world to see it. I definitely went too overboard with that, I'm so incredibly sorry. I promise, no more haggling about your social life, scout's honor."

"I'm sorry, I couldn't be more understanding," I hug her tighter, "But, you really are a great mom. I wish I had come to you more for advice."

"Well," she wipes the rest of her tears and smiles big, "Enough of this sappy mess, please tell me what happened with the young boy that was at our door earlier."

I smile, ready to tell it all.

"Oh, wait! I promised no more meddling-"

"Mom!" I grab her shoulders, "I want advice form you. You have a lot of experience in this area."

My moms eyes glows. She's excited, for sure.

On that note, I tell her everything.

And the whole time, she's laughing. Then I laugh. Maybe, thanks to Colt, this could be the start of the mother-daughter friendship I've always wanted. 

hey hey, i'm on break, and i bring another chapter. this story is almost done, woo!