18 - Home Life

Nala peaks into the bassinet for the hundredth time already, admiring her Esther's little nose and chubby cheeks. She rearranges her bow and smiles, looking over as Jasper opens the door with his mom and dad. "Hi. Come meet your grand baby." She whispers.

Esme just about squeals and sets her bag down coming over. Nala nods as Esme asks to pick her up silently, smiling as she does. Esme cradles the baby girl and bites her lip. "Oh gosh those cheeks. Esther Rae, you're gonna break so many hearts." She coos.

Nala smiles. "She already has. She's got big sister, mommy and daddy all wrapped around those tiny fingers."

"I bet Lilo adores her." Carlisle smiles and takes Esther gently.

"Won't put her down." Jasper smiles as he sits on the bed by Nala.

Esme smiles and takes a picture of her husband and grand baby, her smile never dropping. "I bet. And how do you feel, Nala? I bet everyone's only checking on her."

"No, my team have been smothering me." She laughs a bit and smiles. "But I'm good. Sore, but that can't be avoided when I was cut open 48 hours ago and broke my pelvis 4 weeks ago."

Everyone laughs. "When can you go home?" Carlisle asks as he hands his son the baby, smiling a little as he sees the way Jasper instantly reacts to her. "I'll get some time off so I can come and help."

"Oh that's so kind. I should be able to go home tomorrow, fingers crossed everything goes well with us both." Nala smiles. "They just want to make sure she hits her birth weight again, shows that she's feeding properly from me."

"I bet you can't wait to see the nursery." Esme squeals.

Nala giggles. "I can't, he won't show me pictures. That either means he thinks I won't like it or I'll love it and probably cry."

"You will cry, I bet any money." Jasper smirks as he looks away from Effie for a moment. "I know you."

"Just because I'm hormonal doesn't mean I'll cry." Nala scowls, shoving him a little

He smirks. "I know you like the back of my hand but okay baby, whatever you say." He kisses her cheek.

She scowls playfully as his parents smile; Esme couldn't be prouder in this moment. She worried about Jasper, given that he always struggled. But since Nala came he's been a changed man, in a good way, and he's far exceeded what anyone thought he was capable of.

It is the next day when they're finally discharged, Nala with a walking frame. Esme comes with them in the car, taking Esther right inside as Jasper helps Nala take her time stepping out, helping her balance with the frame before walking the slow pace she can handle.

Lilo runs over as she comes in. "Mommy's home!"

She grins. "My big girl! I missed you so so much."

"Cuddles!"

Jasper smiles. "Let's get momma to the couch and then you can give her gentle cuddles, okay?"

Lilo nods and stays back as she watches her mom shuffle to the couch and slowly sit, before she runs over and climbs beside her; she cuddles closely to her side and Nala wraps her in her arms.

"Do you have everything ready for school?" She asks.

Lilo nods. "Uh huh. Auntie Ro took me shopping... Do I get to spend any time with Esther?"

"You can spend alllllll weekend with her." She smiles, kissing her daughters head.

Jasper brings the baby over and Lilo instantly sits up, opening her arms. He smiles and sets her in them, helping Li hold her properly before his mate shoves the camera at him and he takes a few pictures of the two of them.